Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Sissy Spastik: Chicago's Non-Medicated, Bi-Polar, Andro Mannequin


The most compelling thing about the performers in Chicago is they appreciate having a different aesthetic than just any other queen. Sissy Spastik is no exception, mixing a dash of androgyny into her aesthetic and admiring legends such as Annie Lennox, she wants to show the world that being the outcast isn't necessarily terrible. 



1. Who is Sissy Spastik?

She's Chicago's non-medicated, bi-polar, andro mannequin.



2. Where did you get your drag name?

My drag name is inspired by Sissy Spacek, as her character "Carrie".



3. Who is your biggest inspiration?

I have many inspirations, but the main people are: Annie Lennox, Grace Jones, David Bowie, John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugler, Patrick Nagel, Stephen Sprouse, Leigh Bowery, Gareth Pugh... You see where this is going.



4. Do you have a most embarrassing moment?

That night I had to have my LYFT driver pull over so I could vomit due to a terrible migraine. Luckily no one saw me, as it was 2am on my way home from a gig.




5. Do you have a favorite performance you've ever done?

Being a Gemini, I am bored easily and like to move onto the next project; but I would say my favorite performance was when I performed "money, success, fame, glamour" from the movie Party Monster... I handed out cans of spray paint and had audience members spray paint my dress. I was inspired by a McQueen fashion show where this robot spray painted a model's dress.



6. What has been your biggest accomplishment/biggest obstacle?

My biggest accomplishment has been getting the amazing opportunity to paint the legendary James St. James for his Transformations show. The look I did on his was inspired by 1980's punk, graffiti meets Dale Bozzio from the band Missing Persons, with a little bit of clown thrown in. My biggest obstacle I guess is always looking for outlets of creative inspiration and to constantly look at non-traditional things as inspiration for looks. I love using spray paint, clay, paper, jewels and various objects to perfect my looks.



7. When and why did you start doing drag?

I've been wearing makeup since I was a kid; playing with my mother's makeup in secret. I didn't know it was called "drag" until I was much older; I dabbled with makeup and worked in the retail makeup industry for over 10 years way before I started actually doing drag and going out in drag in the public eye. Drag is a huge creative outlet for me. It fuels me to see the world in a different light. It allows me to see myself in various facets. I coin myself as "Chicago's non-medicated, bi-polar, andro mannequin" because I choose to do looks based on my moods and how I am feeling in my life. It's drag! Why look the same 24/7 365?! I'd rather be a chameleon than a one trick pony.



8. What is the biggest lesson you've learned?

One of the biggest lessons I've learned in drag is to not take life too seriously. What other people think about you and say about you is fueled from their own insecurities and jealousies. Do you. Be you and do it well! No one can do you better than you! Be proud of who you are and fuck the rest! It's drag! It's not that serious!



9. What is something you wish to accomplish in the future?

Finally making RuPaul's Drag Race to show the world how far I can take my creativity and to show that with hard work, experience and dedication to your craft, you can be who you want to be. Making a difference in someone's life would mean a lot to me; as I have always been an outcast and been misunderstood. I strive to represent the underdogs and rebels of our generation.



10. If you could work with anyone in the future, who would it be and why?

If I could work with anyone in the future it would be Annie Lennox and Grace Jones. They both are the epitome of androgyny, power, fashion, beauty, versatility, intelligence and pure talent.




11. What is the most misunderstood thing about drag in your opinion?

The most misunderstood thing about drag, in my opinion, is that people who don't understand drag think that we as queens only do drag to fool people into making them believe that we are women or only want to be women. That is sometimes true, but not always. There's such a huge array of drag artists and what we try to evoke and represent varies from queen to queen. I can only speak for myself when I say I enjoy using all the colors in the eye shadow palettes. One night I'll paint to look like a beautiful woman, the next I'll paint to look like a crazy, alien club-kid.


12. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

I would love to go to Europe; I follow a lot of European queens on social media and they have such amazing talent and eye for the non-traditional.



13.What is something that not many people know about you?

I'm an only child and tend to keep to myself a lot. I've always been a bit of a loner and somewhat socially awkward. When I'm not at a gig, I prefer small crowds. I enjoy getting to know people on a deeper level; it's the old soul in me. My favorite thing about performing is being in the spotlights; the energy from the audience is very exhilarating. I love getting to show 2-3 looks rather than say at a hosing gig showing one look. My least favorite thing about performing is that I hate having to have the same makeup for 3 songs. I have enough time to change my lip color in between numbers. To be able to snap my fingers and my makeup would go on as fast as it is to come off. Al though, I enjoy the experience of getting into drag. The journey. The cooking. The baking. It's all a rather exciting recipe.


Photo Credit:

Follow Sissy Spastik:
Instagram: @sissyspastik
Twitter: @sissyspastik

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com
Instagram: @ragingdragaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment