Saturday, October 18, 2014

Tatiana Rexia: Scary Face with a Heart of Gold


There are so many drag queens who are complete divas and they are only in drag for themselves. Obviously not everyone is this way but people would be shocked at how selfish and catty people can be when it comes to being in the lime light even if their fame won't last that long. Tatiana Rexia has made it very clear that her intentions are much more humble than that. With her drag, she wants to help people who need it and she is trying to prove that the one thing that makes her extraordinary is her heart. 


1. Describe your drag persona.

I would say my drag is very dark and mysterious but I can also be glamorous sometimes depending on how I'm feeling. It's mostly dark though. My look, if I were to name it anything it would be "witch". I'm definitely like a witch. My makeup skills and my blending...that's my "spell" work. I love being dark, that is my thing. 


2. What personality differences are there between Tatiana and Anthony?

Well, Tatiana is very out there and crazy. She talks to everybody no matter who the person is. I always introduce myself when I'm Tatiana. I'm very bubbly and crazy and very cool...but Anthony is pretty much like a wallflower. Sometimes when I'm drunk I'm not a wallflower and I'm all up in everybody's shit. But for the most part, Anthony is very calm. I'm not very open as much as I am when I am Tatiana. There's a big difference, you can tell. 

3. What do you do in your free time?

I'm a very spiritual person. I literally am a witch outside of drag. I practice Pagan. So I like to go out in nature and experience the earth and get real crazy with that shit. I'm a big hippie. I don't like being stuck in the house all day, I like to go out and do things. I walk to the park all the time. I also like to be a Facebook whore and I will literally post like 16 posts a day. If I had to choose between the 2, nature would be first and Facebook would be second.

4. Do you have a drag family?

Well I do have a drag family. I would consider the people who I do a show with to be my drag family. If I ever need anything I would go to them. We don't have a specific name where all of us have the same name. With my drag mother, I didn't take her name...I kept my own. But with all the queens at the club we all just use our own names. 

5. Who is your biggest inspiration?

I would say my biggest inspiration is Marilyn Manson. Not because he's dark and creepy but because I feel like he's very artistic and smart with his art and the way he does things. I have pictures of him all over my wall in my room and I have his book. I LOVE his book! I'm inspired by him a lot because of the way he does dark things and I just like the creative mind that he has. I love watching his interviews because he is so smart. 

My second biggest inspiration would be Porcelain Black. I listen to her music every single day and I perform to her music all the time. I love that she doesn't have any fucks to give whether she's cool or not, she just does it. That's what inspires me not to give a fuck. Cause when I'm onstage, people tell me not to do things but my thing is that I just do what I want and I've been kicked out of places before for doing what I want. 


6. How does your family react to your drag?

Well when I was with my parents, I lived with them until I was about 17 and then they kicked me out. Two of the reasons that they kicked me out was because I was gay and because I was a Wiccan and they did not like that...so they kicked me out and my grandparents took me in. My grandparents are totally okay with it. My grandma even comes to my shows once in a while. She actually sits in the crowd and gives me dollar bills and stuff like that. She's crazy, I love it. But my parents, they don't want anything to do with it. My mom said she doesn't wanna hear about it and doesn't wanna talk about it and what's really weird is my mom is so against it but my dad said that if I ever get on Rupaul's Drag Race that he would watch it. But he still won't look at my pictures or add me on Facebook or anything but he says when I get to that point he will be more supportive. 


7. If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I would really like to meet Stevie Nicks. The reason for that is because first of all, I really want to know if she really is a witch. There's all this controversy of her being a witch and I wanna know if she actually is one! The other reason is because I love her music, I love her message, I love everything about Stevie Nicks. She is just phenomenal. I wanna go see her live, I wanna be her. Every time I perform in drag, even though sometimes I don't do crazy shit, I just wanna be her. She's so cool and she just has this flow about her. Even though she's not dead, she's still cool. She'd be cooler if she was dead...IM JUST KIDDING! But I really love Stevie Nicks. She is just beautiful.

8. What is the reason you started to do drag and how did you develop your character?

When I was in high school, I didn't believe in drag. I thought it was disgusting actually. I did not want to associate with anybody that wore makeup. This sounds really terrible, there was this transgender girl, male to female, and I made fun of her at school a lot. Mostly because I thought she was a bitch and she really wasn't. Somebody asked me one time to go to a drag show with them and I don't know what got me to say yes but I said yes. So I went to the show and I was only 18 and I saw all the queens performing onstage and something inside me changed about me not liking drag. My drag mother now, she got onstage and performed and I was just so amazed. I don't know what changed but I said "I would LOVE to do that!" So the first time I did it I was just going to do it once for fun and that's it and it was a lie because after I performed for the first time I was literally addicted. Once you start drag, you become addicted. I was really terrible when I first started and the queens didn't want to help me because I did weird shit like fake blood and weird stuff. But eventually I became friends with all of them and they started helping me and that's how I got to where I am today. 


9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

I don't want to sound like a diva or anything like that but I do see myself being a bigger name queen traveling around the country doing shows and charity events. I love charity events! I love doing something for someone else, that's the way I am as a person. I want to be that big name queen that everybody talks about. But not the big name queen who just takes her money and goes her own way. I wanna be that big name queen that says "I got all this money and I'm donating it to this cause...". We do a lot of charity events here and it's my favorite time to do drag. In 10 years I want to be a big name queen doing lots of charity events because I love that shit. 

10. How is Tatiana unique?

In all honesty I feel like I am giving my real self. I'm not trying to be fake with anyone. I want to give love and that is it. I want to show all of my fans and friends lots of love. I try not to act fake bitchy just because I'm a drag queen. I try not to be that way. I am not like most queens who don't want to help anyone. If someone comes to the drag show that I'm at and they're new and they want help I will do my best to help them and be there for them. Sometimes I don't have a lot of time to help them but if I have time, I'm going to be there and help. I don't want to be that bitchy queen like most of them are. I'm not that way I try to be as nice as possible. I'm different because I really have a heart...and a real heart, not a fake one.


11. Have you met any famous drag queens? Were you star struck by them?

Well I'm going to meet Yara Sofia tomorrow so there's no denying that I will be star struck. I've met Shanell, and I wasn't really star struck by her because I didn't really think she was that nice in real life. I'm not trying to be shady but she wants everything to be her way...and I understand that. She's famous. But she's pretty bitchy in real life. I also met Delta Work and I love her! She is one of the most humble and beautiful souls I've ever met. Delta is fierce and she's so nice! If I could meet any queen that I've ever met that was the nicest queen it would be Delta. She's just perfect. 

12. What is your biggest insecurity?

Well I don't tell people this often especially fans of mine because I don't want people to know. I have a very bad acne problem and it is so bad that I can't even go out in face and that's how bad it is. My insecurity for that is just absolutely terrible. I will get into drag, I will cry, I will literally fuck up my face. I will smear shit on my face to make me look ugly so people won't be able to tell. That's how insecure I am about my acne. Sometimes my acne doesn't flare up and I feel great and sometimes it flares up and I feel like shit. My biggest insecurity is definitely my skin.

13. What other interests do you have besides drag?

I don't have the greatest singing voice in the world but I always was interested in singing. Even though my voice isn't great, I thought maybe I could sing and people would like it. I've been talking to some DJs and recording artist friends of mine about releasing a single and the funniest thing is I sound like Jeffree Star. I compared the sounds together and when I really get into it I sound like Jeffree Star. So I feel like it would be really bad if I released a single and I sounded exactly like Jeffree Star. When I'm in the shower I can sing Jeffree Star pretty great. Everyone can sing in the shower. It's no secret.


14. What advice do you have for other queens that are just starting?

Don't let anyone else tell you how to do your drag. You can take tips from other people but always stay true to yourself and do what YOU want to do. Don't let anyone else tell you what's right or wrong in drag because it's fucking drag. It's just DRAG. Watch a lot of youtube videos and watch a lot of people do their thing and find something that YOU like. Don't try to look like somebody else. Just be yourself and do what you want to do not what anyone else wants. 

15. What is your opinion on the Facebook real name policy? 

GIRL. I have an opinion on this. So when Facebook first deleted my profile, I had a fit. They didn't just say "change your name or I will delete your profile.". They literally just deleted it and it was gone from existence. I tried four times to appeal it. I sent my ID in and changed my name and everything and they still wouldn't give it back. I had a huge issue with it. I was so upset. I feel like Facebook was being really shady. They said it wasn't them specifically but it was someone being a "serial reporter" that reported all these queens. Not because Facebook thought we shouldn't have profiles but because they really aren't our real legal names. But now Facebook has everything fixed but they're still blocking drag accounts even after this was all supposed to be fixed. A few of my friends had their drag accounts and now they're gone. Even though Facebook "apologized", it's still happening. I think they're bullshitting us, honestly. I don't think their apology was sincere and I think they were just trying to calm us down because we had an uprising.   


Talk to Tatiana here:
Twitter- @tatianarexia9
Instagram- @tatianarexia

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter- @DragEnthusiast
Instagram- @dragenthusiast
Tumblr- dragenthusiast.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment