Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Natasliah: Terrifyingly Beautiful


Natasliah may look scary on the outside but don't let her looks deceive you. She's one of the most down to earth but shy queens you could ever get to know. She was on the LGBTQ collaboration channel on YouTube, Perfect Androgyny, with Joseph Harwood and Arabia Felix (both are also on this page). 

1.Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

Who is my biggest inspiration...hmmm...this is always a hard one for me haha. I've had so many influences growing up so I never realized who my biggest one was. But I guess I'd have to say Divine and Marilyn Manson. They were both just so ahead of their time and were doing things that no one else dared to do...you know? And that really stuck with me. Don't be scared to do things that other people aren't doing. Be outside of the box, be crazy and wild.


2. What was it like working on Perfect Androgyny?

Perfect Androgyny was one of the best experiences of my life so far, honestly. I pretty much grew up on YouTube admiring people like Jeffree  Star, Michael James, Joseph Harwood, Sphirex, Boys in Makeup, etc. And when Androgenetics came out it was so amazing to me to see all these boys in makeup, like myself, have a successful YouTube channel. I never thought I'd be a part of a successful gender-bending YouTube  channel though. And one day Joe messaged me and told me the plan to launch this androgyny channel and I went with it, never expecting it to get as successful as it did. So putting my opinion and art out there for thousands of people to see was kind of crazy. But it was definitely an experience that made me grow and one I will remember. 


3. If you could pick a favorite weekly theme from Perfect Androgyny, what would you pick and why?

My favorite topic that we did was the unconventional material challenge or whatever it was that we did. I think it was unlike any other topic/challenge we did and really showed the artistic skill of everyone on the channel. And I'm not gonna lie I was pretty proud of the look I came up with that week...and I even scared myself looking in the mirror! aha


4. You were part of a drag competition hosted by Mimi Imfurst. What was that experience like?

I was a part of Drag Wars Cycle 4. It was amazing. For those of you that don't know Mimi Imfurst holds drag competitions in Philadelphia called Drag Wars. It's kinda like Drag Race but a lot less drama and a lot more fun. I was a part of cycle 4, which was in my eyes the best cycle and even though i was only in it for 2 weeks i'm glad to say i was a part of it. And no I didn't get eliminated, I had to leave due to personal reasons, which REALLY sucked because I had so much more to show but hey, shit happens right? But in all honesty Mimi is the sweetest bitch ever and it was SUCH a pleasure getting to work with her and all the other amazing queens that were a part of it.


5. Are you going to college? If so, what are you going to school for?

I am going to college, I actually leave in 2 days! October 1st is move in day.  I'm going to the Art Institute in Philadelphia for Fashion Marketing, NOT fashion design! hahahahaha


6. How do you handle negative people?

I don't handle negative people because I choose to not have them in my life, if you put yourself around negative people you're gonna be negative yourself. Therefore, I just call them out on their bullshit and kick them out of my life. Harsh, I know, but I'm a strong believer in positive energy and I don't stand for negative energy and I'm glad to say every single one of my friends brings out the best in me.

7. What advice do you have for kids struggling with bullying in school?

I don't really know what to say to this one because it's such a touchy subject. It all depends on the person. Just ignore them honestly, it DOES get better. I thought I'd never get out of high school, but here I am moving in 2 days to live my dreams. Just be you in school. Don't do things to impress people or make them "like" you, just be yourself and you'll find your true friends. It really does get better though so never give up.


8. Do you make your drag outfits or do you buy them?

Oh god no I'm the laziest drag queen ever! You can catch me buying my drag outfits at Forever 21 or on Ebay. I did fashion design for 2 years and I hated sewing and making garments. I don't know how queens like Cleo Phatra or Navaya Shay do it (Philly queens who make AMAZING garments).

9. What's your favorite makeup brand that you use and why?

I honestly don't have a favorite makeup brand. When it comes to makeup i always say use it because it's good, not because of the label. For example, I use a $35 foundation because it's amazing, but i use a $6 powder because it's also amazing. So use what works. But now that i'm thinking of it I do own a lot of Urban Decay products...so i guess they are my favorite brand...they're pretty amazing.

10. How long have you been doing drag? When did you start?

I've been doing drag for about...2 years now. I've been wearing makeup for 4 years but I really got into drag about 2 years ago, because of Rupaul's Drag Race season 4 hahahaha


11. What are your goals for the future?

I honestly have no idea, I don't have any super specific goals to be honest. I just hope to be doing something that I love and being financially stable haha, not rich, just comfortable.

12. Describe your drag persona?

Oh gosh this is so hard for me cause I can never get it into words. My drag persona is the craziest thing. Like...when people see me I want them to think i'm horrifying...but also beautiful. I love taking something beautiful and making it ugly. I love making people decide whether they think I look scary or pretty. And that's the whole point of my drag, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. There's beauty in dead or scary things. Like I'll have rotted out teeth and dead eyes and blood dripping from my mouth but I'll have on sexy lipstick and a tight black wet look dress. I love confusing people, do I find her sexy or horrifying.


13. How does Natasliah differ from Tyler?

They honestly don't except for a tad bit. Whenever people meet me in drag they always tell me how quiet and shy I am. I'm not one of those outrageous, loud, funny drag queens. I mean of course if I'm around all my friends at a GaGa concert and I'm feeling my oats I'm gonna be going crazy and do things Tyler wouldn't. But all in all, they don't really differ. I'm still shy and quiet and awkward and insecure (if not even more when I'm in drag) than if i were out of drag. Tyler is really different though. I'm extremely awkward and shy. Did I say I was awkward already? haha

14. What is your advice for drag queens that are just beginning?

Oh gosh I don't know...just be yourself? Have fun. It's drag. We're all men putting on makeup and shoving our dicks between our legs. Don't be too hard on yourself with it and don't take it too seriously. Those queens who take drag super serious need to take several seats because all it is, is art and alcohol.


15. Who is your celebrity crush?

I have a different celebrity crush like every week, but I guess my most recent "celebrity" crush would be Ninja from Die Antwoord. UGH the things I'd let that man do to me, total daddy goals!

16. Do you plan on posting on your personal YouTube channel in the future?

I don't honestly. YouTube's dead to me. You can only make so many videos ya know? And most of the views and comments are because they hate you! haha no but seriously I'm just not into youtube like I used to be. Doesn't mean you won't see me here and there on Perfect Androgyny every once in a while ;D

17. What do you miss most about Perfect Androgyny?

I miss being able to put my art out there and my opinion. Like if you think about it, me posting every Wednesday is equivalent to me standing on a stage talking about a topic to thousands of people sitting in front of me. I think people get really selfish when it comes to YouTube  views. Like you're talking to thousands of people. Like I said before that's like you getting on stage and thousands of people sitting in front of you listening to you. So be wise with what you say and use that voice to do something. The power of the voice is an amazing thing. And a lot of youtubers don't realize this. They only do things for views and that's not what it's about to me. That's what i'm going to miss most about Perfect Androgyny...having the power to talk to thousands of people and potentially doing something with the world.

Find Natasliah here:
Twitter- @KillNatasliah
Instagram- @killnatasliah

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter- @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr- dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment