Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Honey Golightly: Being Queen

In the YouTube community, you may find some people who are greedy and just want views or fame. Coming across people like that, you have to keep in mind that there are some occasions where you will find a genuine person who is just looking for people to relate to. When you search Honey Golightly, you will find just that...a genuine human being who never forgets who she is and how she got there.



1. Describe your drag persona. 

Honey is a party girl - she's everyone's best friend and knows how to have a damn good time, with a little bit of a cartoon character thrown in there.


2. When did you start doing YouTube videos? 

I started Honey's channel in the summer of 2012.


3. In your opinion, what is your biggest accomplishment? 

My recent documentary, Being Queen - and living through the experiences that created it.


4. Would you ever consider auditioning for Rupaul's Drag Race? 

Totally, and I have twice so  far. It's a great way to show off your art in unique and exciting ways, and I know I would slay it.


5. What can you say about the reality show you have recently worked on? 

I was part of an independently-produced game of Survivor that took place in Union City, Tennessee. It was a true test of my capabilities and I made lifetime bonds in such a short amount of time. The episodes will be released soon via YouTube, like the Facebook page Survivor Reelfoot Lake for updates!


6. When and why did you start doing drag? 

I started back in 2011. When I figured out what all drag could be, and everything that you could do with it, I had to get in. 


7. Who is your biggest inspiration and why? 

My followers. Being able to reach out and connect with them has been the best part of all of this.


8. What is the difference in personalities between Honey and your boy personality, Kyle? 

In my personal life, I'm extremely introverted and laid-back. Honey's a complete 180. Drag allows me to tap into all of the suppressed parts of my personality, and in that way it's extremely therapeutic for me.


9. What are your future goals?

I want to take my show on the road, travel and interact with real people in real time. Nothing compares to that feeling. 


10. What is the most rewarding part of doing drag in your opinion? 

Being able to become a product of your imagination. Doing drag is nothing less than creating a living, breathing work of art.


11. What does drag mean to you?

It means more to me than I could have ever imagined. It has opened so many doors and completely changed my life.


12. Do you have a drag family? 

I'm a drag orphan. I would have loved to have that bond with a drag mother, and God knows I could have used one on numerous occasions, but being able to say that I and I alone built myself from the ground up is incredibly liberating.


13. How do you deal with negative comments? 

There's a great quote by RuPaul herself that explains all of that shit in a nutshell... "If you have goals and the stick-with-it-ness to make things happen, people will feel threatened by you, especially if your goals don’t include them. They believe that if you take a piece of pie, then that leaves less pie for them." It's all about jealously, and anyone who tells you differently is full of it. And at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the positive.


14. Growing up, what was the biggest obstacle for you to overcome? 

Being a weird, nerdy, creative, gay, agnostic kid in the heart of the bible belt. I grew up fighting a war every day, and being able to rise above it lets me know I can take on anything.


15. Have you ever been star-struck when meeting any of the famous queens that you've met?

Everytime! One of my biggest idols is Manila Luzon, and when I had the chance to meet her a couple of years ago I was so nervous and paranoid about saying or doing something stupid I barely spoke a sentence to her!


16. What is the biggest lesson you've learned about drag? 

Despite the fact that everything we're doing is fake, queens are some of the realest and most genuine people on the planet, and it is a very special and even familial world that I'm honored to be a part of.


17. What would you say to all of your supporters if all of them were reading this? 

I LOVE YOU SO SO MUCH! No, seriously, thank you for everything and being cared about by you is the greatest thing I've ever felt. xoxo



Find Honey here!
Twitter: @Honey_Golightly
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003614657111
YouTube: Honey Golightly

The Drag Enthusiast
Twitter: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment