Saturday, September 27, 2014

Clever Sarcasm: Chloe Knox

Looking for a queen who is beautiful and funny all at the same time? Chloe Knox is your queen. She makes youtube videos as well as performs onstage and she may call herself a beginner but honestly with her talent, you'd never guess. 


1. Describe your drag persona. 

Very sarcastic and and candid. Similar to myself out of drag, but just more clever and uninhibited. Also more peppy and charismatic than I tend to be.

2. When and why did you decide to start drag?

I decided to start wearing makeup and heels in high school because I had wanted to as long as I could remember, and it felt like the right time. Specific time, August 2011. During that time, I toyed with the idea of breaking into drag, but it just seemed so hard I wasn't sure if it was for me. But eventually, I shed my bleach-blonde locks and stopped wearing makeup every day, and decided to only wear makeup when I felt like it. And that's also when I started buying wigs. And so Chloe was born.

3. Does your family support you?

I don't have much contact with my "family" (they're all in Canada) but my parents and step-parents love it. My mom's been asking me to put her in drag for forever.


4. If you could pick anyone that you really want to work with, who would it be and why?

A queen? Um.....Bianca del Rio. A part of me actually would be nervous about that because I'd probably seem incredibly unfunny next to her. But I would LOVE to spend time with her and I know I'd learn so much. Comedy is something I'm really trying to make my niche, so I think she'd be the best mentor I could ask for.


5. Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

Well Bianca obviously is a big one. Another, again obviously, is London Adour. I take inspiration from pretty much everyone, though. There's always something someone does that I like. But the two biggest would probably be them two.

6. Why did you decide to start a YouTube channel?

Narcissism.

7. What has been the biggest obstacle you've ever had to overcome?

The general sense of being lower than everyone. Ever since childhood, everyone's sort of looked at me as the neurotic, attention-seeking little nuisance. And because of that, all I've ever wanted is respect. And to be treated like I'm on the same level as everyone else. So when people look down on me or give me and attitude like they're just plain better than me.....I do NOT take it well. And these bitches know who they are. But another big obstacle is controlling my fucking mouth. I have lost countless opportunities and had many gigs cancelled on me because of someone I said that got back to someone, or something I said on Facebook, etc. What can I say, I have no filter.


8. What is the biggest lesson you've learned while performing as a drag queen?

No matter what, you will get better. But just because someone is improving faster than you does not mean you aren't.

9. What makeup item can you not live without?

Well....there are a LOT. Things like glue sticks, setting powder, black eye shadow....if I ran out of any of those things before a show, I'd have a panic attack. But the number one would probably be foundation. No foundation, no face. I ain't showing my nasty real-person skin on stage. No ma'am.

10. What types of things do you do in your free time?

Well I assume that means other than work and drag, which is pretty much all I do. But I spend any free time hanging out with my best friend Rebekkah. Or hanging out with Ironica and her boyfriend Adrian. Other than that, I lay in my bed on my laptop like I'm doing now.


11. In your opinion, what is your favorite thing about performing as a drag queen and what's your least favorite thing?

My favorite thing is positive attention, as I assume is everyone's. When people come up to me like I'm.....SOMEBODY, and tell me how gorgeous I am and ask for pictures or whatever, it's like an outer body experience. I still assume at first they're talking to someone else. It's literally the best feeling ever. The worst part I'd have to say is the crippling self-doubt. Always thinking my performances weren't good enough, and seeing other queens slaying the crowd. Makes me feel sometimes like I should just stop doing lip-sync performances and just start doing stand-up. But I just go to my performance video file and look at some of my favorites to remind myself, I'm good at both.

12. Do you buy your outfits or do you make them yourself?

I have made VERY few things from scratch, because I'm not particularly good at crafting or sewing. Most things I either buy, or I buy them and add them together or add things to them. Like buy a unitard and add sleeves, for example.


13. Do you have any hidden talents that no one knows about?

......not really haha. When I'm good at something, I want EVERYONE to notice. I mean I'm good at drawing, but most people know that. Other than that....I can stick my whole fist in my mouth. Wanna see??

14. What's your biggest pet peeve?

Stupidity. When someone says or does something retarded with the utmost conviction....I just want to smack the shit out of them. And when I do something stupid (which is pretty much constantly) I get mad at myself.

15. What's your biggest fear? 

That I'm really as unimportant as people treat me.

16. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Gosh let's see, I'll be 29.......hopefully making more than $8 an hour. Haha no what I REALLY hope is that I'll be making money doing something I love. Whether it's drag, or acting, or comedy....just something I'm excited about doing. Not scrubbing floors and punching in 40 hours a week wanting to blow my brains out. If I could make enough from drag to live off of comfortably...that would be ideal.


17. Do you have any advice for beginner drag queens?

Well....I'm essentially still a beginner. I'm in an awkward stage between total amateur and professional. However, I'd just have to say....you're a beginner. So chances are what you're doing now is FAR from sickening. Lots of people told me I was the shit when I was starting.....and looking back, I was anything but. If someone says "gurrl your makeup looks a mess" they're not a 'hater', they're probably right. Now if you've been doing makeup for years, that's different. You're set in your ways and they're probably just trying to piss you off. But if you're just starting, it probably does look a mess and they know you can do better. So ask them what specifically needs improvment and work to make it better. Keep yourself grounded, you are and will never be 'better' than anybody. Just be as amazing as YOU can be and that's enough. And lastly....keep trying. You WILL feel like giving up, and if you do, that's okay. Drag's tough, it ain't for everybody. But if it's your passion...stick with it.

18. If people want to see you perform, where can they find you?

Meteor on Thursdays, F Bar on Tuesdays sometimes, JR's on Sundays.....sometimes. Might be doing a gig at Splash in Galveston sometime soon, we'll see. Ya never know! Just follow me on Facebook and Instagram and chances are you'll get the heads up.


Find Chloe Here:
Facebook- https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006115830368
Twitter- @chloeknoxxx
Instagram- @chloeknoxxx
Youtube: hearttopmodel05



The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment