Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Jaxie BearCunt: One of Copenhagen's Unique Talents


While in America, drag has become somewhat mainstream, there are other countries where drag isn't as popular and isn't an everyday thing. Jaxie BearCunt lives in Copenhagen where there's only a few huge shows during the year and the show etiquette is WAY different than American drag shows. With influences such as Milk, Raja, and Grace Towers, Jaxie enjoys putting his own twist on his drag aesthetic.


1. Who is Jaxie Bearcvnt? 

Jaxie Bearcunt is a weird, sweaty, semi-hairy, sexy, juicy, friendly and catloving cunt from Copenhagen, Denmark. She has big lips, especially the upper lip, she loves big eye makeup, she is a blonde and she loves to show off her hairy legs from time to time. 


2. How did you come up with your drag name? 

Very simple; My boy name is Jack, which I twisted a bit, and we have Jaxie. And since I’m a hairy bear AND a cunt, the puzzle just solved itself. 



3. When and why did you begin doing drag? 

My first real time doing drag was for the Copenhagen Pride 2014 with my best friends. The reason why, was that we’ve always talked about it and joked about it. We occasionally dressed up during our many years of friendship, but I always felt like I would look more like an unshaven Greek mom rather than the silicone clown I was destined to become. When I saw Drag Race I wasn’t inspired to do it until I saw Milk! I was so drawn to her aesthetic, and then I knew that drag had a place for me. 



4. Where do you draw inspiration from? 

It is all really in fragments… dragments, if you could say so! I know I’m very inspired by Nina Flowers, Milk, Trixie Mattel, Pearl, Duo Raw, Raja, Dennis Agerblad, Mathu Andersen, Grace Towers and a whole lot of other queens, but I’m more than ever inspired by my own imagination. I’m very affected by video gaming, Yoshitaka Amano’s art, music (really any kind, also from video games!). It all comes to one piece when I bike through the streets of Copenhagen while listening to music, looking at the lakes and people – I accidentally start doing dance moves in front of people, and once I even started to touch my nipple while I got eye contact with a thug across the street. That was hot and scary at the same time!



5. What is the biggest obstacle you've faced during your drag career?

My skin. Definitely. I have hyperhidrosis, but it is not under the arms but the entire body – I sweat so much faster than everybody else. Maxim Wipes cannot even stop it. On top of that, my skin doesn’t take much makeup really well, so especially in the summer, I can’t always blend as I want to, as the makeup comes off as I touch it or even immediately when I apply it. Still working on that. 



6. How is Copenhagen drag different from other countries and their drag scene? 

Copenhagen is very different because we don’t have bars where drag performers work full or part time for tips + booking fee. One reason is that it is not as out as in the states, another is that the Danish money are different. The note of the lowest value is 50 kroner, which is roughly 10 dollars (right now, a bit less) or 5 pounds. No one wants coins in the face – so we need to start some Monopoly money shit. Instead, we Drag House, which is a big show that happens a couple of times a year (at least 4) where the best performers in Denmark perform, next time at Halloween. We also have competitions like Nattens Dronning (not Copenhagen, but Odense), Frøken Verden and a new one I’m going to compete in 4th of September – GOA Awards, which is located in Århus, not Copenhagen. Between the drag performers, the difference is that we have so many different types of drag - each with their own unique style, makeup and so on – the best part is that they’re all quite successful compared to each other. There are no aesthetic that are favored more than another. 



7. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about being a drag performer?

My least favorite is the sweat thing – sometimes, I have to struggle through the discomfort. It’s like you have to do a catwalk as a model after you pee in your pants. It’s horrible. It’s that! My favorite thing is when I can feel the audience understand me and like what I deliver, because ultimately, that’s what makes me do it. 


8. Do you have a role model? If so, who is it and why? 

I know this sounds obnoxious, but I actually don’t. I admire and respect many people, I ask my boyfriend and friends for advice, but I try to make my own path. 



9. Do you ever get really nervous before performing? If so, how do you deal with it? 

Actually, I don’t get very nervous until the last 60 seconds. I don’t even know how I deal with it, I just think: it’s time to deliver what you know you can deliver. I become excited instead, I feel like I’m at an amusement park, going to try rides.



10. What is something no one really knows about you? 

That I’m actually quite the introvert. I am shy about myself, although I like when I open up about it. That’s why I don’t have many close friends that really know a lot about the real me. 


11. How long does it take you to get ready to perform? 

Makeup I spend 3 hours on – I don’t do makeup all that time, but I like to have time to correct mistakes or to not panic when my skin fucks it up. Then I just need to squeeze down my outfit.. and I’m ready! 


12. If you could describe your drag in one word, what would you choose? 

FISHY! 




13. What is your favorite makeup product to use? 

Clown white powder by Grimas right now – the reason why is because I LOVE the sensation of seeing my big, fat, black, bushy middle eastern brows covered by that snowy, powder. And PROS AIDE!! Oh, I completely forgot! Pros Aide is the thing! I couldn’t live without it! 


14. Which performance has been your favorite that you've ever done? Any specific reason? 

My first – Hi Fashion with ‘Amazing’, because it is important for a performer to understand that they are amazing, and it is so important to have that confidence the song kind of throws at you. I did a great job delivering a unique show and I made people gag over it – so I feel pride when I hear it. 


15. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are 3 things that you couldn't live without?

Burgers, Nintendo and Davide, my boyfriend. And if he’s really smart, he’d bring some music, so I have alone time with my Nintendo, please!! ❤



Follow Jaxie:
Instagram: @jaxiebearcvnt


The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment