Thursday, September 17, 2015

Crystal Beth: Dancing Queen

(Photo by Carrie Strong Photography)

Falling in love with the art of dance, Crystal Beth used what she learned during dance class to incorporate it into her drag performances. With each performance, she blows the crowd away with her energy and passion and never disappoints. 


1. Who is Crystal Beth?

Crystal Beth is an entertainer, a dancing queen who shows high energy and confidence on stage. She lets everyone know who she is by her performances. With her knowledge and large variety in dance skills she can do anything for the crown. She has been given the nickname the "Split Goddess" of Oklahoma, and she greatly approves. But overall at the end of the day she is a normal person who is loving her life. 


2. How did you come up with your drag name?

I gave myself my first name Crystal after my biological mother. Everyone said I looked like her when I first started. My drag grandmother at the time gave me my last name Beth. Which is ironic in my eyes because I've never touched a drug in my life. But finding the humor in the name I loved it and ran with it. 


3. When and why did you start doing drag?

I started drag on May 11th of 2013. My first time in interest and drag was my first time to an underage gay club in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I saw the queens onstage have so much fun and freedom. So I went out on May 11th for the open talent night and won the crowds approval. 

(Photo by Carrie Strong Photography)


4. Your performances are very energetic. How long have you been dancing for and why did you get into dance to begin with?

I've been dancing since I was a freshman in high school. I grew up watching So You Think You Can Dance and just loved the way the human body was able to move. So when I moved to Oklahoma City, the school I attended offered a dance class. I seized the opportunity and enrolled in a beginner class. By the start of my sophomore year, I was in the top dance class in the school. I was also teaching the beginner class alongside my dance teacher.


5. Do you have a drag family or do you fly solo?

I belong to one of the most established drag families in Oklahoma, known as the Van DeKamps. I was lucky enough to even be considered a candidate for the Van DeKamp team. With the house Mother Jexa Van Dekamp having the most attentive background in drag, her children are put on the chopping block every time they perform, and Jexa is the reason I still continue to do drag. 


6. In your opinion, what is the most misunderstood thing about drag?

To me, the way we are seen in the public eye...There are multiple stereotypes and misunderstood forms of drag. I've been called a sataninist, I've been labeled as trans, and I've actually been feared by some people as a "freak". I'm a human being but I'm just another weirdo in the public eye. 



7. How do you deal with negative thoughts about what you do from other people?

I tend to ignore most of it. I don't want to anyone to see me as a heartless or rude person. To me, not reacting is also an action. If it comes to the point to where I just can't handle it I usually go to a friend for advice. I tend to stay within the drag community because they know the hard situation but another performer can go through. 


8. What song is your favorite to perform and why?

Well I generally perform mixes, but if I must choose one song, it would be "Woman's World" by Cher. It's upbeat and it has a great message in it. Cher is also one of my all time favorite artists. 


9. How long does it typically take for you to get ready for a performance?

I've made it a point to have my makeup done within an hour, adding about 20 minutes for body and costume. so full transformation happens within an hour and 30 minutes.  

(Photo by Carrie Strong Photography)


10. What is one thing you wish to change about the world?

The poverty level facing America. Americans are working too hard to be living in poverty. I completely agree with Sen. Bernie Sanders with his statement on poverty that no American worker that works 40 hours a week should be living in poverty.


11. Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

My drag mother, Jexa, has been the main foundation for my drag career. She's always there when I need her, no matter the reason. She's my biggest fan but she's also my top critic. She wants me to achieve greatness, and see me succeed.  She's been my shoulder to cry on but she's also my best friend.



12. What is your thoughts on the Miley Cyrus performance on the VMAs with 30 drag performers?

AMAZING!!!! Miley was able to show the whole world a drag show. She made every performer's dream come true that was on that stage. It made me feel like the world is coming to terms with the publication of drag queens.

(Photo by Carrie Strong Photography)


13. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you travel to and why?

I would love to visit Ireland. I could be able to visit my ancestor's homesteads. My family is actually distant royalty on my father's side. I could go visit my family's castle and just to be able to see the sights would be jaw dropping. 



14. In your opinion, what has been your biggest accomplishment thus far?

Honestly starting drag and being able to keep doing it...I never saw myself as a two-time title holding, dancing drag queen by the age of 19.


15. What is something that not many people know about you? 

I can do the splits 37 different ways, 16 of which are sexual positions.

(Photo by Carrie Strong Photography)

Follow Crystal Beth:
Instagram: @crystal_beth96
Facebook: https://facebook.com/crystalbeth.taylor?tsid=0.25389677891507745&source=typeahead


The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast 
Instagram: @dragenthusiast 
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com


Photo Credit:
Carrie Strong Photography
Instagram: @carriestrongphoto 

No comments:

Post a Comment