Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Jujubee: Positivity, Equality, Love

Photo by Black Rose Photography 


In the year of 2010, Rupaul's Drag Race Season 2 premiered, and Jujubee's life was forever changed for the better. Jujubee was in the top 3 of the season before she sashayed away. But it didn't end there. Jujubee was also part of Rupaul's Drag U, and also a contestant on Rupaul's Drag Race: All Stars where she teamed up with fellow drag performer, Raven, and they called their team "Rujubee". Juju quickly became a fan favorite and was known for her sickening lip syncs, sense of humor, and positive attitude. She is not only a drag performer, but she is also an activist who has shown more compassion towards multiple causes, especially woman's rights and equality. Even after hitting TV and performing all over the world, Jujubee still has a hard time taking it all in and continues to stay humble and positive. 


1. When and why did you begin doing drag?
 
I started performing in drag when I was 18. I always had a love for the stage.



2. How did you come up with your drag name?

Jujubee was the name given to me by my drag mother, Karisma Geneva Jackson Tae. I'm glad she just chose one name for me!



3. How has Rupaul's Drag Race changed your life?

RuPaul's Drag Race has allowed me to travel the world and do what I love most; performing in front of wonderful fans. I am truly thankful for this all.

Photo by Tony Lowe


4. If you could give advice to the queens who want to audition for the show, what advice would you give them about surviving?

It isn't so much about surviving, but it's about being authentic. It's about the desire and ability to win the competition, but it doesn't stop here. Hard work and perseverance are important factors in making it in the drag world. 



5. Do you have any crazy fan moments that you can remember?

I definitely have moments I'd rather forget. I was once followed back to my hotel and around 3 am two "fans" were banging on my hotel room door for about 30 minutes. I was terrified and pissed at the same time. 



6. How do you keep yourself so positive?

Being positive is the only way to be. Negativity breeds more negativity and it works the other way around, too! I believe that living a happy and positive is the better choice.

Photo by Tony Lowe 


7. What has it been like working with Raven for so long?

Raven is amazing. She is a wonderful and talented person along with being someone who is level headed and humble. I love working with Raven.



8. Is there a certain country that you've been to outside the U.S. that you can't wait to visit again?

I would love to go back to South Africa and Cambodia again. Those two places melted my heart. 



9. What region in the U.S. do you really get excited for every time you go there?

I'm always excited to visit California, because I have so many friends in the state. I also grew up in California so it feels like my second home!

Photo by Black Rose Photography 


10. What is the thing that makes you most nervous for when you're about to go onstage? 

I get nervous every single time before I hit the stage. I think it's healthy to feel that way. Once I'm no longer nervous doing it, I'll stop.



11. Do you do anything before you get onstage that calms your nerves?

I calm myself down and give myself a little pep talk. I always have to feel the curtains of the stage before I go on. It's strange.



12. I heard that you are very passionate about women's rights...can you explain for those who don't know what your opinion is on certain issues that women face everyday?

Women's rights are very important. Without women, there wouldn't be drag queens. Drag is a celebration of how amazing and strong women are. The equality in pay needs to happen. I don't see why a woman should get paid less than a man for doing the same thing. I also believe that women, who choose to stay at home and care for children, have the hardest job. It's one you are always on for. There is no clocking in and out. 

Fighting for women's rights is so important, because as we fight for gay rights, we should consider our mothers and sisters as well in the fight for equality. Not long ago were women considered second class citizens. What's even more infuriating is that women were considered property of their husbands. 

Photo by Tony Lowe 


13. What is your opinion on bio queens (such as Miss Crime Scene that you met in Vermont)?

I enjoy bio drag. It allows for a different interpretation of what drag is and can be. Art has no boundaries so why put up walls now? I say keep draggin' on!



14. If you could change something about your time on Rupaul's Drag Race, would you change something or are you happy with how everything turned out? 

I have replayed everything in my head and I can honestly say that I wouldn't change a thing. I don't believe that "everything happens for a reason," because that just sounds like an acceptance for negativity, but I do believe that I did everything I could with what I had. 



15. What do you want people to remember most about you?

I want people to remember that I am a good person. Hopefully i exude that energy!

Photo by Tony Lowe 


16. What is something not many people know about you?

I can cook! I love making Laotian food! Food is LOVE!



17.  If Jujubee could have a superpower, what type of power would you want her to have and why?

I would love a super power that would allow me to dance on beat. HAAA! 



18. What do you love most about doing drag? 

What I love most about drag is that I can become another person for a few hours. It allows me to extend my being into another version of myself.

Photo by Black Rose Photography


19. What is the best thing a fan has ever done for you?

The support from fans is truly amazing. I don't want or ask for much. I'd just like for people to enjoy what I do as much as I enjoy it.



20. What would you like to say to all your supporters out there?

I'd like to say that I am grateful for all the support! I've always dreamed of performing...and RuPaul's Drag Race, World of Wonder, and Logo have given me the opportunity to do that. Thanks to everything for supporting me and I hope I have the support for years to come! Spread love!

Photo by Tony Lowe

Follow Jujubee:
Twitter: @jujuboston 
Instagram: @jujubeeonline


The Drag Enthusiast
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com


Photo Credits:

Tony Lowe:
Instagram: @tonylowephoto


Black Rose Photography:
Instagram: @blackrosephotog

No comments:

Post a Comment