Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Kay Daver: Goth Kid At Heart


Kay Daver is a queen from Australia with a dark side. She describes herself as "a goth kid at heart, but a heart for drag" and always puts on a show with beauty and poise.



1. Who is Kay Daver?

Kay is just a simple girl who was caught in a lovers affair, with both of her lovers killing each other she couldn't deal with this heart ache and killed herself. 


2. In your opinion, what is it that makes you unique compared to other queens?

I don't personally think I'm that different from many other queens. There is many darker drag queen characters and many that have chest pieces. I guess id say I'm unique in a way due to the fact that i have not had anyone really sit me down and show me how things are done and I have had to figure it all out myself. 


3. How is Australian drag different from the rest of the world?

The first thing that comes to mind is normally tips, We don't earn tips here, its all invoiced. I can't say that Australian drag is more polished, but it does pump out some amazingly talented queens thats for sure. The drag scene in Australia is slowly changing since Rupauls Drag race and the ease of social media to share other peoples styles. I have found that Most Ozzie girls are now starting to take more inspiration from overseas girls which is great! 


4. Do you have a drag family?

Drag families in Australia are very different to those in say America, Normally a family in America (From my understanding) Is more like a drag mother who has all her children who are intern sisters. Here we just mainly have sisters. I have a few people I consider drag family such as Delia Cards, Shae Dee, Fran Giapanni, Kimberly Heart and Venus D'Luna just to name a few


5. Who is your biggest inspiration?

Its always hard to narrow a question like this down. I don't generally get inspiration from people, I get it from many different things such as music, movies, pictures, sounds and sometimes even smells. But if i had to narrow it down to a person I would have to say Sharon Needles. Being a goth kid at heart I always had a heart for drag, but didn't know that a "dark" drag could exist as all i ever saw around here was camp and pretty queens. 


6. What is your favorite/least favorite part about drag?

My favourite part of drag would have to be the prep work, I love doing the makeup, Styling the wig and making costumes. I find this the best as its the way that I express my artwork. 

Its going to sound stupid but my least favourite thing about being in drag is a combination of doing my makeup (As i always want it to be instant) and also being in drag. 



7. When and why did you decide to start drag?

I started drag on 17 March 2012. It was my 21st birthday, I had no bloody clue what to do so I decided to have a "drag queen" party. From that point i fell in love. I didn't look crash hot as i tried to do my own makeup, Got extremely drunk and had to get my mother to try and slap the rest on for me! 


8. What is something you wish you could change about yourself?

I don't really wish to change much about myself, Id probably change my body image (Not that i have any real issues with my body, I just think i could change my body shape a little). I don't think id really want to change anything else about myself. 


9. What is one thing not a lot of people know about you?

Not many people know about my self doubt/confidence. I know that we are always our hardest critic but I always question if i am good enough, or if a look was good enough no matter how much positive feedback I receive. 



10. Do you have a most embarrassing moment?

I guess we all have many embarrassing moments. I guess the worst i can remember was when i had to perform to an audience of about 20-30 people. I talked to the event manager who told me that I was on stage in 10 minutes. 
As I had had a few drinks that night I thought i would have enough time to go to the toilet. I ran to the loo, took out my hip pads, untucked and started to do my business, Just as i start I hear my spot number come on, Had to stop half way through going to the loo. Do a mash tuck (Where you just kinda mash everything back and not really tuck correctly, I didn't get enough time to put my hip pads back in and i grabbed my powder (Which i use for my spot number, but normally empty out a bit into my hand - which i didn't have time to do).

I quickly run onto stage just 1 line late (Thank god it wasn't much more… i guess) started the routine and right after I do my first turn i normally blow the powered out, Instead I do the turn all the powder falls out of the container and falls all over my outfit and it looked as if i had basically rushed out of the toilet after doing some blow and didn't put the lid on the storage container. 

Needless to say, I have not performed while that intoxicated, nor have i gone to the toilet before a spot number since. 


11. If you could wish for anything in the world, what would it be and why?

It would either to be less self indulgent or as corny as it sounds world peace. 


12. If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?

Is super brainiac a super power? I would want to be extra super-dooper smart. That way I could use it to possibly get other powers, or invent the other powers like time travel and invisibility. Or is that cheating? Hahaha If it is I'd still want to be super smart.  



13. What is your favorite song to perform to? Is there a specific reason for that?

My favourite song to perform to would have to be "My Immortal" by Evanescence. Although this is my most hated Evanescence song its the first song that I have personally been able to connect with and I fell that each time I perform this song I am really giving the audience all that I have. 


14. What is the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you regarding drag?

Be prepared to spend a lot of money, be hooked and most likely cry yourself to sleep at night over the stupidest things, But remember that drag is fun and will only be as rewarding as you let it be. 


15. If you had a chance to travel somewhere, where would you go and why?

Everyone always says America. All the time. It is always a place I would love to do drag but deep down I would love to go to Japan or China just to stir things up! 


Find Kay Daver here:
Instagram: @KayDaver


The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com
Instagram: @ragingdragaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment