Monday, January 5, 2015

"Hey Qween!" With Laganja Estranja



Every season of Rupaul's Drag Race, there's always an underdog, a mean girl, an annoying queen who everyone hates, and an instigator. It's like the secret formula to entertaining reality television that will get more views. Everyone loves a good dramatic, over the top, and insane hour of TV. In this aspect, Rupaul's Drag Race never fails to deliver. 


Season 6 of Rupaul's Drag Race was full of shade, laughs, and lots of tears. Everyone has their favorite moments, but when you mention a certain name in any online social media outlet, you will most likely get the usual "she's so annoying" response from fans of the show.

In my experience, I've learned that the editors will take advantage of every single situation and run with the dramatics for views. It's their job. Season 6 was no different. Watching that particular season was one of the biggest roller coasters for me as I watched one of my favorites, Laganja Estranja, get torn to shreds.



After this particular season, in all it's glory, I really came to realize why I always connected to the most misunderstood person in the cast every single year. Laganja helped me learn a lot about myself and I've never had shame in vocalizing it. 

Today was the release of Laganja's episode of the YouTube series "Hey Qween", which is a talk show with host Jonny McGovern who does a fabulous job at interviewing and getting to know each queen individually. I've been watching the show for a while, but this particular episode was a hard one for me to watch, but in a good way. Not because it was terrible, but seeing someone I admire dearly cry was really hard for me.

I've come to realize the real reasons why Laganja was so special to me. Through all the hate, tears, misunderstandings, and broken bridges...she had hit rock bottom and still ended up picking herself back up and continuing her work. Not just as Laganja...but as Jay as well.



In this episode, Laganja finally had the platform to show her true self and she seemed at peace with who she is. She had admitted that she took a lot of things to heart and that she even had a drinking problem because of it. What I loved most is she never said she was the victim...just that she didn't know what she was getting herself into and she wasn't emotionally ready. Through all the drinking and heartache, she decided to stop destroying herself and prove everyone wrong. Let me tell you, she's doing one hell of a job.

Being a very misunderstood individual myself who is also very sensitive to what people think of me, it gives me reassurance to know that someone I admire knows what I'm going through. It gives me strength and inspiration to prove people wrong...that I can make something out of myself...and that I can rise up from the ashes in dark times. 

I'm so proud of Laganja and how much she's grown in a year's time. I'm very happy she finally feels at peace with who she is and that she wants to make a positive change in this crazy world we live in. Overall, this particular episode was everything I hoped it would be. For once I saw Laganja being understood, not just as a crazy drag queen, but an actual human being who just wants to be loved. She wasn't "feeling very attacked" for once, and it was very refreshing to see. 


"Hey Qween!" With Laganja Estranja:

Follow Laganja: 
Twitter- @laganjaestranja
Instagram- @laganjaestranja
Tumblr- laganjaestranja.tumblr.com

Follow "Hey Qween!" Host, Jonny McGovern:
Twitter- @GayPimp

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter- @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr- dragenthusiast.tumblr.com
Instagram- @ragingdragaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment