Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Story About A Girl Named Lucky Madison



The most compelling thing about Lucky Madison is the fact that she's a true inspiration. Just beginning to talk to her, she seems shy and reserved, but when she gets onstage she transforms into a complete goddess in ever sense of the word. Her performances are very high energy and fun to watch, and she turns every performance into a full production. She just recently started owning her drag career and she doesn't let the opportunities go to waste.


1. Describe your drag persona.

Lucky is really just a heightened version of myself... blonder, bolder and even more white washed. On stage Lucky is a triple threat-full out production. A theatrical popstar if you will. I'll give you full on high energy dance routine with backup dancers, tell you a mini story all while singing live. I'm a theater kid, that's just how we roll. Off stage, Lucky loves to kiki with just about anyone and lives by the thought of "What would Beyonce do?" seriously though, the woman always has her sh*t together!


2. What is your biggest accomplishment?

For me personally, my biggest accomplishment was when I got to join SAG (the screen actors guild) As an actor it was definitely a milestone in my career and I owe it all to Lucky.


3. Who is your biggest inspiration?

Britney Spears... circa 2000...but really any blond bombshell icon. I've always kinda had a gay crush/obsession with them. Lucky is me living through every memorable moment from them. 


4. What is the biggest lesson you've learned regarding drag?

I feel like I'm still learning so much about myself and my craft but the biggest lesson so far would have to be that it's OK! For a long time I shy'd away from really taking ownership of my drag because of my own personal insecurities but then one day it hit me... you love doing it, you're good at it, people enjoy you doing it and it keeps opening up doors and opportunities, how could I not just embrace it already!



5. When and why did you start doing drag? 


Though I only started taking real ownership of my "drag career" within the last year, I actually started about 6 years ago when a group of coworkers/close friends and I decided it would be fun to put a "Pussycat Dolls" type drag group together and perform at a work talent show. After finding out we were actually really good we started doing the club scene but then eventually when things started to get a little too Destiny's Child up in there, Beyonce had to leave and do her own thing :) And it was the best decision because I'm the only one now still doing it... well except for the "Kelly Rowland" of the group, but she's the "Kelly Rowland" of the group... haha


6. How did you come up with your drag name?

Two things... Britney and where I got my start at, Club Lucky at House of Blues in Anaheim 


7. What is your biggest insecurity?

The chance and risk of failure but it's also that rush that makes it all so exciting and fabulously dangerous!


8. What is something that not many people know about you?

I'm the oldest of 3 boys. My youngest brother is also gay, a popular LA-based fashion photographer and the middle brother couldn't be more opposite; he's an ex-marine with a son.



9. What is your favorite song to perform to?

Anything I can create a mini pop musical out of. Give me dancers, give me a live mic and let me create a story... I LIVE for a production number. 


10. If you could rid the world of one thing...what would it be and why?

Labels. Gay. Straight. Bi. Trans. Fem. Whatever... Life is not that simple. 


11. What is your favorite/least favorite thing about drag?

My favorite thing about drag is that its the freest form of creative performance. It's your own art. You can tell the story however you want and I love that. My least favorite thing about drag would have to be the negative attitudes or hate within our own community. I mean don't we all get enough of that on the outside? 



12. If you could work with anyone, who would you choose and why?

It's a toss up between my two favorite drag queens, Rupaul & Lady Gaga :)


13. Favorite drag item?

A good weave! Half the reason I wanted to do drag was so when I was dancing around I could whip my mutha f*ckin hair around back and forth!


14. How many drag competitions have you been part of?

I've been in 3 competitions so far. Was a finalist in Raven's Raucous Roundup at 340 Nightclub in Pomona and was first runner up in Season One of Melissa Befierce's The Face & also first runner up of Season Three of Project Drag at Micky's in West Hollywood... I'm the drag Susan Lucci :)



15. Advice for other queens?

Do everything you do full out with love and passion, if you can't then it's not worth doing it at all.




Follow Lucky Madison:
Instagram- @luckymadisonflirt

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter- @DragEnthusiast
Instagram- @ragingdragaholic
Tumblr- dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment