Thursday, January 8, 2015

Katrina "The Hurricane" Colby: Living Up to Her Name


Katrina "The Hurricane" Colby is a performer who resides in Virginia Beach, Virginia. She started drag at the ripe age of 18 when her current drag mother captivated her through a performance. She believes in high energy performance and staying humble and kind to everyone she comes across.


1. Who is Katrina Colby?

Katrina Colby is a persona I made when I was 18. She came out when Steven came out! She's a crutch for dealing with homosexual life, and has grown much more than I would ever have imagined. 


2. When and why did you start doing drag? 

Drag came to me when I went to the Park Night Club in Roanoke, VA for the first time. I was still in high school and my best friend and I went to the drag show they had every Friday and Sunday. My to be drag mother, Jayda Colby, was entertaining and she just captivated me throughout the show. We became friends and I would hang out with Jayda at her home and play in her drag. She asked me if I wanted to do it and I told her no! I didn't think it was for me. Little did I know it was everything I wanted to do and be. Halloween came around that year and she painted and my sister (best friend) in the men's restroom of the bar for my first time. 


3. Where did you get your drag name?
 
Katrina Colby was not my first try at choosing my name. Many names came before, but how Katrina got her name "the hurricane" is because at any given time you could catch me twirling, splitting, and vouging on the dance floor at the park. I would do it from open till close. It was what I lived for. I would watch the kids come in and do their dances and battles and I would watch them so I could learn more. I also took influences of old YouTube videos India Ferrah, Tandi Dupree, Chevelle brooks, Angelica Sanchez and many more legends! 



4. What is your biggest pet peeve?

My biggest pet peeves are new girls who have huge heads and are ungrateful, and girls who don't think they have any room to grow. Drag is ever changing and an evolving sport! It's a stop on the road of life! 


5. Who is your biggest inspiration?

I have so many! This list is a mile long and each one has there special reasons! I will just say this...I am so humble to be in the hands of such legendary entertainers that have given me the tools that I needed to grow and become the lady I am today. Special thanks to Jayda Colby, Arione DeCardeza, Kristina Kelly, Tim Clark, Enya Salad, India Ferrah, Dana St. James, Jessica Jade, Sandra Lopez, Jennifer Dion, Mercedes Douglas, Victoria Foster, Alessandra McQueen, Kiara, Raquelle Colby! All of these and many more have had direct influence in my career and I am so blessed to have such a loving and supportive team.


6. How long does it take to get into drag? 

The transformation process takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours. Depending on what I'm doing and such! 



7. What is something no one knows about you?

Hmm! This is difficult. My family is pretty close to me I don't think there's anything. Each of them know special pieces of me! 


8. What is the most misunderstood thing about drag?

In my opinion, the drag community's biggest misunderstanding is that drag is an art and there's no rules. Drag has evolved once again and most don't agree but with time things change! 


9. What is your favorite/least favorite thing about drag?

My favorite thing about drag would be getting into it...the transformation, really! It's so exciting to see your face transform with the makeup and hair! It's unreal!! The thing I hate the most about drag would be not being able to pee! It's torture! 



10. Who would you like to work with in the future?

The person I would want to work with the most would have to be Chad Michaels. She is such a sweetheart and one SICK queen! Poised, Glamourous, and talented!!!! The true queen!


11. What is your favorite song to perform to?

They change with the week! My current one is "Burning Up"...It just makes me wanna dance. 


12. What is one product you can't live without?

Hmmmm. Does 301 lashes count. Lol a lady is always LASHED!!!!



13. Where you ever star struck?

The last time I was star struck was when I met Erika Andrews. She was so lovely. I just stared at her. Gone too soon (RIP LADY). 


14. What is your biggest accomplishment? 

I would have to say is not giving up when people that I held closest to me said I couldn't do it. Also having my lovely daughter Rocky, She amazes me every time I see her!!


15. What is one thing that makes you unique? 

My heart! In this world of hate and anger, I always can see the best of people. I will always help the under dog and the new girls to the best of my ability and try not to turn  away.


Follow Katrina:
Instagram- @katrina_thehurricane_colby
Twitter- @katrinacolby

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter- @DragEnthusiast
Instagram- @ragingdragaholic
Tumblr- dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment