Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Discord Addams: Variety and Chaos


Discord Addams may seem like every other spooky queen out there, but the most appealing quality she has is she's able to step outside of the normal idea of what drag is and everyone's standards of what she should be and she does whatever she wants. Most performers have an established image that they want to portray and with Discord, you never know what you're going to get.


1. Who is Discord Addams?


Discord is multi-layered. One minute shes a punk rock bitch performing in back alleys, and the next she’s in a beautiful gown singing smell yo dick, and maybe the next week she has a pig snout and a wife beater on. The thing about chaos is it comes in many forms.


2. Where did you get your drag name?


I chose the name Discord from the goddess of Chaos and Addams from the Addams family. I like to think of myself as Morticia’s white trash cousin in the trailer out back. All of their names were always so clever and I’d like to think id fit right in at a family dinner.


3. Where did you learn how to do your makeup? 


Everything I’ve learned about makeup I taught myself. I started out knowing absolutely nothing, watched a few youtube tutorials and just practiced every day until I found out what worked best for me.  Plus I’ve always been interested in special effects makeup even before starting drag.




4. When and why did you begin doing drag? 


I have so many reasons for doing drag that it’s hard to pick just one.  I’ve always felt this calling to the stage ever since I was younger, however despite all my grandest efforts I still sound like a dying horse when I try to sing, so being in drag allows me to be the rock star I’ve always dreamt of being. As a drag artist I can be whoever and whatever I want to be whenever I want to be it and having that option is so liberating and beautiful. Drag is punk as fuck and it’s crazy that people don’t realize that, we take societies ideas of gender and beauty and say Fuck you. I’m here to create havoc and chaos and that’s because I’m sick of the way things have been and it’s well overdue for some change. I want the world to know that they CAN be whatever it is that they want to be without having that fear of backlash and criticism. Words are only as strong as you allow them to be, and I think it’s time that we take the power away from those trying to tear us down. Art is a beautiful thing and there are so many reasons we all have for doing it, and none of those reasons are wrong, as long as you do what you do with conviction.

 



5. What is the most misunderstood thing about the drag community in your opinion?  


I think the biggest misunderstanding Is within the drag community actually, and I think its that in order to be a drag queen you have to be a cunt. I can't explain to you how many queens in the dressing room are just straight up rude with this holier than thou attitude that I can’t wrap my head around. I just believe that if you want the world to treat YOU with equality then you need to treat the people within your own sub community with the same equality you expect from everyone else.



6. Do you have a favorite look that you've put together?


I have 2 favorite looks, my interpretation of The Grinch that I recently threw together for Christmas, and my typical look of some leather and an oversized Mohawk.





7. Does your family support your drag career?


My parents are so incredibly supportive. My dad has come to so many of my drag shows and will always sit in the dressing room and give makeup tips to me and other queens and then give all my friends money to give me and other girls performing. He even let me dress him up as Lady Gaga for a contest before Andhe’s straight!



8. Who is your biggest inspiration and why?


Fame is my biggest inspiration.  Not a lot of artists get to broadcast their work on such a wide platform and to have that opportunity would be life changing.  There’s a lot of negative energy that permeates throughout the drag community and I’d like to help tip the scales in a more positive direction. Right now, I can perform and speak all I want and sometimes it’ll fall on deaf ears, but I want the world to hear what I have to say and see what I am capable of.



9. What is your biggest accomplishment?


 Honestly, just getting my name out of this state and into the ears of people throughout the country has been my biggest accomplishment. Anytime I get a message from someone telling me that they love what I do, or they can’t wait to have the opportunity to see me perform, that is an accomplishment for me.



10. Do you have a most embarrassing moment?


I was performing completely naked once and my tuck came undone…oops.




11. What is one product that you can't live without? 


Liquid latex!


12. What is something that makes you unique from other performers?


 I think something that makes me different, is that I don’t allow myself to be put in a box of on specific type of drag. I want to do everything and do it well. A lot of times with performers you know what they’re going to perform before they’re even on stage. I want you to come to my show and have no idea what I’m going to be doing.



13. If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?


I would love to meet Steven Tyler, he’s been one of my bigger inspirations since I was about 10 and Aerosmith was the first concert I ever went too when I was in the 5th grade.  From the way that he moves on stage to the way that he dresses I’ve always been completely enamored with him.  



14. How long does it take you to get into drag? 


About an hour and a half.



15. What is the best advice you can give to newer queens just beginning to do drag?

 

Sharpen your wit not your claws.



Stalk Discord Addams:
Twitter- @discordaddams
Instagram- @discordaddams

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter- @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr- dragenthusiast.tumblr.com
Instagram- @ragingdragaholic

1 comment:

  1. Another amazing piece! Discord is fierce as fuck!

    Thanks Ladies. xx

    ReplyDelete