Thursday, December 18, 2014

Mean Girls Part 3

Being friends with a lot of drag queens on facebook, I see my share of drama. Not only on my main news feed but I'm also part of a couple Facebook groups where queens are supposed to be giving their advice to new queens who just started.

I understand if you put yourself out there as a performer and an entertainer, that you should have a really tough skin. That will develop over time and you will eventually learn that not everyone in this world is going to accept you. It's a sad reality that everyone has to learn the hard way. BUT there's a line that shouldn't be crossed. 

People are probably going to yell at me for writing this article, but I really don't care. What I do care about is the people who have shown support for me and have believed in me when other people didn't. I really dislike when some queens are absolutely horrible to each other for no apparent reason.

I know some people who will post photos  of themselves in drag and yes, maybe they have a few things to improve on. We all started somewhere....but to bully people and call them names...? What does that do for you? As a performer, you should know that you can be yourself and be "honest", as you call it, but if you have an attitude like that you're just digging your own grave.

No one will want to work with you if you're going to have such a negative attitude. Why not give the person some advice? Maybe you will make a new friend and they might just end up one of your daughters that you mentor. 

I know I'm not a drag queen. I'm not a drag expert. But I have a voice. I think we should be a lot less harsh and we should stand together and help each other out. If you don't like someone, then ignore them. Perform, have fun, make friends, and if someone asks for advice...please be humble because you will never know when you will need advice. If you burn all your bridges, you won't have anyone to turn to. 

Everyone is working hard to make their careers explode. Greed and fame can get in the way. Please don't go around acting like you're better than everyone else because everyone has different ideas and perceptions of what "drag" is.

Follow me:
Twitter: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com
Instagram: @ragingdragaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment