Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Miss Taint: Tainted Love

Photo by Poo Poo Platter ATX (featuring Ruby Knight) 
 

As a 21 year old drag artist from Texas, Miss Taint is still growing and evolving as a performer. One day she got curious and tried on her mom's makeup and has never been the same since. A lot of the inspiration behind her starting her journey as a drag performer comes from Rupaul's Drag Race and being able to discover that drag can be so many different things. One of her biggest dreams is to use her platform to be a voice for those who struggle with being HIV positive and to bring awareness to the issues our community faces everyday. Find out more about Miss Taint below. 


1. Describe Miss Taint as a performer.

Miss Taint is a queen that wants a reaction out of you. 
Whether it's a laugh, a cry, fright, shock, or awe, I want to leave that stage knowing you'll remember me the next day and smile or cringe. 
I like my performances to demonstrate a part of me, whether it's my interests or something I find fascinating that I want to turn myself into. I do crazy stunts, like a lot of audience interaction, and love my two free drinks I get at the bar for every show I do. I like vintage 60's-90's wear, my infamous black hair, and heels that make you look twice. I have no limits in what I do, and have my own hashtag #fuckyourrules. I'd like to think of myself as a new fashion good ol' time. 


2. When and why did you begin doing drag?

I started the art form of drag when I was 18 years old in the summer of 2014. I had been to only one drag show I believe before I started, and I'm going to be honest I was bored.  It wasn't my taste, and it seemed very bland to me.  After watching season 5 and 6 of RPDR, I found some inspiration and thought, "Hey! not all drag queens are boring" One day when my mom wasn't home, I went into her vanity drawer and began playing with her makeup.  I love the art of transforming yourself into a completely different person to entertain people. Kind of like a clown. Honk! Honk!


3. Where did you get your drag name from?

Funny Story, me and my best friend at the time were at a discount store and he knew I wanted to start doing drag so we were coming up with names.  Before Miss Taint, I was "Feita Loca" which translated means little ugly crazy girl. I knew it didn't fit right, so that day we smoked a little bit too much ganja. One of my favorite bands at the time was "The Horrorpops" and they have a song titled "Miss Take". I was like, "Hey matty, how about Miss Take" and he turned around all high and said "What? Miss Taint?" and the rest was herstory! 

Photo by 
Alvaro Armendariz


4. How did you learn to do your face?

Well, when I first started, I had a drag mom and she helped me with the basics of the face. Gluing down the brows, contouring, the eyes, and so on. But I knew I didn't want a basic face. I wasn't happy with it. I took a small break of maybe about 3-4 months.  After seeing Trixie Mattel on television doing what she does (first queen I saw with extreme makeup), I found inspiration to come out again and do drag the way I wanted to. 
Over exaggerated lips, over drawn lashes and brows, etc. I never really watched any makeup tutorials, I always just played with makeup until I got my face the way I felt most comfortable.  It gained a lot of attention in my hometown of San Antonio, where there's primarily "Pageant Queens". Not many people liked it so they would talk, and that's pretty much how my name got out there. 


5. What would you say is your biggest accomplishment?

I'd say I have three biggest accomplishments throughout my drag career.
First would be being invited to perform in front of 300+ people at a SXSW event in Austin, Texas. That was the best and most fun gig I have ever been blessed with. From performing in front of 2 people and the bartenders at my home bar to that many people, boy was I in for a surprise. I did a Rob Zombie/Dead Silence Mix with the help of my sister, Siren LaCoast, and getting into a crowd of that many people was too much fun.
Second, I think my advocacy for HIV is another thing I've accomplished. Being able to be comfortable in your own skin is an amazing feeling.  I have been HIV positive (undetectable) for 2 years now, and being able to help others who are scared and newly diagnosed is a really amazing thing.  I've helped a lot of my friends stay on the right track, find the resources needed, and stay on their meds. It's important to address issues that gay people face, be the voice for others that don't have one. 
Lastly, being able to have and host my own "Freakshow", and give people a place of unity and acceptance in the gay community in which I live is another big accomplishment I achieved just this year. I have been given my own night to let performers here have a chance to express themselves in a show where you can do absolutely anything and won't get shunned upon by the closed minded people and queens. 

6. What is your most unique quality?

Being able to accept people for who they are, and not giving up on them.  If I see something in them, I make sure they bring it out to their fullest potential. I also like taking the time to get to know each of the people who support my art, and get to know them as friends and not just my "fans" . 

Photo by 
Maria Galindo


7. Do you have a most embarrassing moment while performing? 
 
The first time I ever performed, I was invited by my good Judy Sephwhora Addams 51. It was a play/drag show/brunch so there was a diverse crowd in the audience. I did my first number and it went great! I was backstage and another queen needed an extra in her number, so I volunteered as tribute.  Little did I forget I had taken off some of my tucking tape and while I was onstage, a little extra something fell out and everyone started bursting out laughing. There I was, doing my thing without knowing what was peeking out.  I looked down and saw, and looked back up and laughed and played a long with it! Give the people what they want, a show! After the show, I had many people come up to me and say that that's the most they had ever laughed and I needed to keep doing what I was doing. And here I am, two years later. 


8. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about doing drag? 

My favorite thing about drag is being able to inspire people to be different and be comfortable in their own skin, no matter what kind of drag they do. I love it, it's what I live for! I like talking to people and encouraging them to go out and chase what they want in life. Drag gives me a platform to have a voice to inspire and educate others.

However... I HATE shaving. I can grow a full beard in a week, so shaving is the absolute worst. 


9. Who is your biggest drag inspiration and why?

I don't particularly have one I admire the most, but people who make a name for themselves and fight for what they believe in and stay true to their art and who they are, are definitely some of the ones I look up to. 
I really love the singer and legend, Peaches.  I love how raw and artistic she is, she's in her late 40's and is still on stage fashionably rocking it out. 
My mom is an inspiration on her own, and one of the biggest fighters I know.   I admire people who have seen a struggle and know how hard you have to work to get where you want to be in life.

Photo by 
Alvaro Armendariz


10. Do you ever get nervous before setting foot onstage? If so, how do you calm your nerves?

All. The. Time. Haha
It's normal to get nervous, I'd be worried if I ever wasn't nervous.  Each time I open the curtain I'm performing in front of a different audience, and that's what I love about it.  Usually before I step foot onstage, I say a little prayer and ask God to give me the confidence and the courage to make that performance my best. Doing drag has really gotten me closer to my faith, and I am thankful for that. 


11. What is your favorite number to perform and why?

I have a plastic surgery Twilight zone number I love to perform.  It's from the episode "Eye of the Beholder", I love the concept behind it that beauty isn't always what's on the outside. I also have a lot of fun performing my Dead Silence/Rob Zombie number. I love all things horror, I take a lot of inspiration from horror movies and playing their characters for people to see in real life.  


12. What is the biggest lesson you've learned while doing drag?

"Sometimes it's best to just walk away."  I have a very short temper, and have been in my fair share of confrontations and disputes.  Not everyone is going to like you, and that is OKAY.  What matters most is the people who are there for you, and who support the art that you do.  Fighting is not the answer, and that is something I just recently learned by a mother and her daughter that are really big supporters, and go out to every one of my shows.  You'd be surprised by the people who can teach you lessons. I love you Maria and Crystal. 



13. What is the most bizarre thing someone has ever said to you while you were out in drag?

Some older men try to ask for my number or hit on me in drag and I look at them like "Why?" haha Guess they're into freaks ;)
I've also been chased outside a club by a guy maybe about 5"2 that was laughing like a maniac clown, I ran in my 6 inch heels for my LIFE haha


14. Have you received negativity for being different? How did you handle it? 

To be honest, quite frequently.  I tend to handle it with a grain of salt.  As a performer, you're going to have people that adore you, but you're also going to have the ones who can not stand you. Those are usually the people who aren't comfortable with their own selves.  Always be nice to everyone, you never know who may be on their last straw until their breaking point, and you can be the one to save them. I don't let them stop me from showing my art to the world, and hope one day they can see past whatever they have a problem with, and be apart of the fun!


15. Where can people check you out and see you perform?

You can catch me performing at the Heat nightclub in San Antonio, Texas every now and again. Also at Stonewall Warehouse in San Marcos and local clubs in Austin, Texas. I also have my own show at The Thirsty Camel called "Glamour Kills" which is done monthly and is a tribute to the Club Kids movement.  I'm hoping to be in the Austin International Drag Festival next year, so hopefully I'll be seeing some of y'all out !


Photo by Camille Claire (Life's A Drag)

I'd like to personally thank my mother for supporting me in this journey every step of the way ,from loaning me her makeup to going and supporting my shows ; Eliaskayne Olvera and Matty Monstante for being the best friends and supporters a ghoul could have ever asked for ; Rey Lopez for all the opportunities you gave me with your Drag me to Fame Competition ; Heat Nightclub for believing in my drag and allowing me to have a stage to perform on ; and all my Freaks for coming out to my shows and letting me entertain you! 

You can find me on Facebook by searching Brian Hernandez (Miss Taint)
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: Miss_Taint and tumblr: MissxTaint
For booking Inquiries, please shoot a message to Bookyourtaint@gmail.com

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

1 comment:

  1. Ok. Here's the deal:

    Yes, earthling, Im an NDE
    (thus, my ethereal nomenclature) -
    so I actually know God exists:
    He rewards those who HONOR n RESPECT
    Him and strive to follow His Laws;
    for those who wanna know what
    Seventh-Heaven holds for your
    indelible, magnificent soul whom
    God has so carefully crafted -
    and if you're not too concerned
    with WWIII and N. Korea,
    you better follow us:

    Find-out what RCIA means and join.
    trustNjesus.
    ALWAYS.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete