Friday, May 20, 2016

Nico: Chicago's Alien Streetwalker



Chicago is filled with performers who aren't afraid to take their art to the next level. One performer in particular, Nico, is recognized as one of the most prominent performers in town. He's a self proclaimed "Alien Streetwalker" who can easily get everyone's attention just by walking into the room. With a variety of looks and a number of talents, one will never know what they're going to get with Nico. 


1. Describe your drag personality.

I'm in my own little word and just spacey.


2. Where did you get your drag name?

I picked my drag name cause I was obsessed with the Andy Factory scene and Nico was the singer of one of my favorite bands, The Velvet Underground, and she was tall beautiful and crazy. She'd break things and get away with anything cause of her beauty and I was like "that's what i want to be...." Sadly I'm more crazy then beauty.


3. When and why did you begin performing in drag?

I feel I've always dressed up performed and played with makeup. I use to clog dance back in Florida when I was in elementary. But "professionally" only since I've been here in Chicago just a year and some months.



4. Where did you learn to do your makeup? 

Just by practicing. I've always loved makeup and special fx stuff. 


5. How do you think Chicago drag performers are unique? 

Chicago is unique cause every queen in Chicago is unique. You have Valentine Addams, Jojo Baby, Trannika Rex, Imp Queen, Shea CoulĂ©e, Lucy Stoole, Kim Chi...I could go on and on everyone talented unique and we all work together and hang out even outta the gig. 


6. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Probably Mars 



7. What is one thing you would like to change about the drag community?

Nothing. Chicago drag is perfect. 


8. Do you have a favorite performance that you've ever done?

Yes I really love my 4 Non Blondes "What's Up" number. I just really get into it and feel and the crowd always sings along and it's an energy I can't describe. 


9. How long does it take you to prepare yourself for a performance?

All day because I always what till the day of to pick everything. I'm always procrastinating.



10. Where do you draw inspiration from?

Omg! Everything and anything! People, fashion, music, nature, trash! 


11. What would you say is your biggest accomplishment?

Probably that I'm still alive.... Just kidding...but everything is huge for me. Being apart of Drag Matinee at Berlin or Queen at Smart Bar and Debonair for Neo (plugs) I just recently was asked to do a gig at MCA which I'm excited for...or when I was on Vice Magazine but I'm humble, you know, I don't like to brag!


12. What is your favorite thing about performing in Chicago?

The people! I have never felt apart of a community. I love talking to and meeting people in the club and getting to know them and then seeing their frowns when I come on stage...sometimes a smile. Just kidding! Haha 



13. What is something no one really knows about you?

I can't touch my toes. 


14. Where can everyone come see you perform?

Every other Monday is Crashlanding hosted by Trannika Rex and I with Lucy Stoole behind the bar .

Saturdays for Drag Matinee at Berlin hosted by Trannika Rex

I host Neverlands Animal house IML party may 27 with Imp Queen

Also Neverlands pride party at Metro June 24 with me Sara Andrews, Imp Queen and more 

I host every Thursday at Debonair for Neo along with Jojo Baby and Imp Queen 

I host QUEEN on Sundays with tons of amazing Chicago girls 

And I do Fabitat hosted by Lucy Stoole as well :) 



Follow Nico: 
Instagram: @nicozworld
Twitter: @nicozworld


Photo Credits: 

Erik Michael Kommer: 
Instagram: @lad_of_leisure


The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com


No comments:

Post a Comment