Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Saint Peter D'Vil: Rock & Roll Glamour


California has a huge variety of drag performers with huge personalities and fun performances to match. Among these performers, one would find that there are a handful of whom strive to be outside the box and don't conform to expectations set by the drag community. Drag is an art, and is a way of expressing oneself. Saint Peter D'Vil is an experienced performer who strives to be different from the rest and loves seeing people have fun at the shows she hosts and puts together with her husband, Carlos. 


1. Who is Saint Peter D'Vil?

Saint Peter D'Vil is camp, horror and rock and roll. I have a saying, I never try and be natural I always aim to be supernatural. I am drag queen, entertainer, event promoter, producer, host and judge for competitions. A glamour ghoul death glam drag queen. I do practice witchcraft. It comes naturally I feel, but I keep on pushing to be more knowledgeable and push myself to do more. I never really label myself as "witch" or hash tag it. Seems dumb to me, I guess, I just know what I am and capable of. I love showing people a great time at my events and shows. 


2. When and why did you start doing drag?

I started dabbling in drag in high school going to clubs and shows. I started doing drag because it let's you be whoever you want to be and made me express myself with art, music and entertainment.


3. Where did you get your drag name?

I got my drag name because my name is Peter and I wanted to have a mixture of good Saint Peter and bad devil. Also, I have dyed my hair a lot black and white like Cruella Deville. I wanted to make my name an enigma like question yet and mix two genders and not have myself labeled as a girl or something.



4. How did the Haus Of D'Vil start and what do your teeth necklaces represent?

The Haus of D'Vil started with me of course and my husband, Carlos Gomez Aranda, working together doing my events with my drag daughters and members of my team and drag family. The tooth necklaces were actually gifts to the people that would help me with events and drag queens that would come and do an event with me. They are made out of howlite stone which is a magical and energy stone that blocks negativity to keep you centered and is good for your teeth and bones and help you sleep. I wanted them to be meaningful. They're basically a charm for protection.  And I thought the necklaces looking like fangs was a cute idea.



5. What has been your favorite number you've ever performed and why?

My favorite number I have ever performed...I don't know...I have so many. Dragula last year I performed "MacArthur Park" and the Boulet Brothers made it rain on me with a water hose so I was performing under rain and that was really cool at the club. But I have so many numbers that I love doing. I love rock and roll stuff usually. 



6. What is your favorite/least favorite parts about doing drag?

My favorite thing about drag is entertaining and showing people a good time. Also doing makeup and hair and being whatever I want to be. My least favorite part is putting on eyelashes and nails.



7. In your opinion, what has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

My biggest accomplishment so far is having my own events that I run myself and being able to perform what I want. Also being able to book other drag queens such as queens from RuPaul's Drag Race and having them actually work at my event and working with a lot of talented performers. Also being a part of Drag con was really cool.  Being in the book with my name in alphabetic order under RuPaul was really awesome as well. Also being invited to be there and being part of the World of Wonder blog a couple times was great! 



8. What is your favorite item of drag that you own?

My favorite drag item...I don't know I don't really have a favorite item. I have many. Oh! I have a certain pairs of heels that I like so I try to buy them like the same ones so people probably think I wear the same shoes but I have a lot in the same style! 



9. What is the most misunderstood thing about drag in your opinion?

Most misunderstood thing about drag to me is that we all want to be girls and just do girl numbers but I think drag is whatever you want it to be and it's art. It's the art of performance.



10. How do you deal with negative comments by other people who aren't so open minded?

How do I deal with negative comments by other people who are closed minded?  I just deal with it and sometimes make it around them and talk back and explain to them and sometimes it gets crazy.



11. What advice do you have for younger queens?

My advice two younger queens is listen, pay attention, and learn more about the craft. Know what kind of bars you go into and what crowd it is. That way your performance can be built around that so you have a good show. Also, it's good to take constructive criticism, there are lots of young drag queens that can't take it, but you have to learn from experiences. Also, you can step out of the bubble and do stuff that you aren't comfortable with and have fun with it.


12. What is the biggest lesson you've learned in the time you've been performing as a queen?

The biggest lesson I've learned is to know your crowd and to be careful and don't hurt yourself. 



13. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

If I could travel anywhere in the world it would be Germany and France. I love all the history about those places and they look beautiful.


14. What is something not many people know about you?

Something that may you know about me I'm a very motherly, I listen, and I'm actually very nice. My eyebrows are just drawn on that way. And that I'm old...I'm 34 years old and married to my husband. 



15. Which club do you like performing the most at? 

There are too many! I love all the clubs I work at. I love performing at Precinct, I have a night there every Thursday, Rock and Roll Gay Bar. I love Faultline bar and Eagle bar...funny those are all the leather type bars. And of course Mickey's! I love Mickey's for the lighting and the stage is great. Mickey's is like one of my home bars. I'm there every month and I love it there, it's like my home. It's where I started doing events. All the other bars I work at now are all like my second home. 




Follow Saint Peter D'Vil:
Facebook: https://facebook.com/saintpeterdvil?tsid=0.6587911352980882&source=typeahead
Instagram: @saintpeterd_vil

Buy Haus Of D'Vil fang necklaces!

Photography by Brett Saari

The Drag Enthusiast
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com
Instagram: @dragenthusiast

No comments:

Post a Comment