Monday, October 5, 2015

Being Queen: A Mile In My Heels - A Documentary by Honey Golightly

There's many performers in this day in age that want to have a wall built between their persona in front of a camera and their real self. Meanwhile, one should realize that behind all the glitz and glamour of being a performer, specifically a drag performer, sometimes it can be a real struggle to keep afloat and live comfortably. Honey Golightly is in the midst of filming her second documentary titled "Being Queen: A Mile In My Heels", which will showcase not only Honey, but the man behind the makeup, Kyle, as he lives his everyday life and tries balancing his home life with being a drag queen. Life isn't always easy, but to devote so much effort into living a dream is definitely inspiring and this documentary will be worth the watch. 


1. What can people expect while watching your new documentary? 

HG: It's going to be a totally new experience. To begin with these next few months are going to be a whirlwind for me, and packed with big events. I'm giving everyone a front row seat. Also, I've changed so much and it's time to debut the new me. I'm hanging all of my struggles and dirty laundry out to dry - nothing will be held back. Expect bigger and better things, more drag, and more excitement. It's going to be a lot different from the last one. 


2. What are the biggest challenges you've faced since your last documentary ended?

HG: Adjusting to an entirely new life! Where we left off last time I was bored, unemployed and still living at home. Now I barely have a spare second to think!  


3. Since you've moved out on your own, do you enjoy living on your own more than you did living with family?

HG: Absolutely. Of course there are days that I miss it, and the bills sure as hell aren't fun, but I need room to breathe. My parents, like me, are strong personalities and it's hard to squeeze all that under one roof. Our relationship has totally improved since I left. 


4. What's the story behind the title "A Mile In My Heels"? 

HG: In the tradition of "Keep Calm and Golightly", it's a spin on a popular phrase. I keep feeling like I'm in motion - on my way to new things, on my way to adulthood - and I wanted the title to reflect that. Not to mention I will literally be putting some mileage on my platforms at the Milan Zombie Walk, a local event I'll be a part of.



5. What has been the biggest lesson you've learned this year? 

HG: I've learned to be way more careful when it comes to trust. People can be evil. And you won't know it until it's too late.


6. What do you want people to get from your documentary? 

HG: I want people to understand who I am, given the context of where I come from, and the things I deal with. Most people know me as Honey, a totally made up character who I can sometimes get too comfortable hiding behind. I want to tear those walls away and allow the ones who care to get to know me on a much more personal, more human level.

7. What was your favorite part of filming?

HG: So far, it's simply been seeing the improvement in quality over the last one. I've done a lot of growing up as a filmmaker and editor, and I'll be putting a thousand percent of my effort into this project.



Check out the new documentary trailer here:


Check out Honey's first documentary here:


Follow Honey Golightly:
Instagram: @thehoneygolightly 
Twitter: @Honey_Golightly 

The Drag Enthusiast: 
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment