Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Alison Sideshow: Undead Freakshow

Performing at the fresh age of 18, Alison Sideshow is more experienced than most people perceive her to be. She's performed several times as a dancer before she even ever started officially doing "drag" and already has a handle on who she wants to be perceived as for a drag performer.




1. Who is Alison Sideshow?

Some undead bitch who is a mystery to scientists everywhere. I pretty much came up with her character when I was really high one day. I was like “Hey, what if my drag persona was an undead girl who had natural lavender hair? Yeah, that sounds legit."


2. When and why did you begin doing drag?

I’ve been doing drag-style makeup in my bedroom mirror since I was like, 14. When I finally turned 18, I jumped on the chance I had to have my first show. It was a fucking mess, but it helped me come out of my shell so much.
I started doing drag because it seemed like such a fun and creative way to express yourself. I’ve never been able to draw or paint on a canvas or anything very well. I can’t paint a canvas, but I can paint my face!! I’ve always been so amazed by the way makeup can transform someone, and when you put a character to that, it’s a nice time.


3. Where did you get your drag name?

I’ve always been really in love with all things freakshow/sideshow related, so thats kinda where the last name came from. “Alison” is the name of one of my old friends, but i won’t go into that.
The funny part is, everyone always spells my name “Allison” so i get to feel like Willam when i tell them “NO EXTRA L”.



4. Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

Woah, well… I guess in general, one of my biggest inspirations would have to be Yölandi Visser of Die Antwöord. Her aesthetic is something I strive for honestly. In other respects, my friend Neon Hitch is also a big inspiration to me. Neon’s proved to me that you can be fucked over time and time again and still come out on top.


5. What is your biggest accomplishment?

I’d have to say getting my first lacefront. That was a moment.


6. What has been your biggest obstacle so far?

Not getting discouraged. There's a lot of pressure when you do drag to look a certain way. Perfect hair, perfect crease, etc. But how can one person define that? I’m learning that as long as I stay true to the crazy undead hooker bitch that Alison is, there’s nothing that can stop me. 



7. How do you deal with hate?

I retweet it.


8. What is your biggest goal for the future?

Um... Lord, I don’t know. Owning a goddamn Versace dress? I don’t really set long term goals for myself because i don’t want to set myself up for failure. If you just live in the moment, its a lot easier to get far in life.


9. What do you love most about the drag community?

The amount of support there is! I’ve met SO many wonderful human beings. 



10. What do you dislike most about the drag community?

For every supportive person, theres 5 annoying bitches who wanna talk down to you and say you need to look different. I don’t like how everyone thinks you need to look a certain way. You gotta accept that everyone has different ways of doing drag. Theres so many different styles, you shouldn’t waste time being hateful like that.


11. What is the biggest lesson you've learned about drag?

You can never have too much glitter.


12. What is your favorite song to perform to and why?

Ooh. Thats a tough one. I’d have to say it’s a tie between Bodyache by Purity Ring and Sick Like Me by In This Moment. Mostly because i always have so much fun performing those songs, and the crowd loves it as much as I do.



13. What is your favorite brand of makeup to use?

Wait bitch are you buying me a care package? Haha, I’d have to say Kat Von D. Always really good coverage for her foundations, and her lipsticks are perfect.


14. Who has been your favorite drag queen that you've met in the past and why?

P E A R L. I absolutely adore that beautiful bitch. She makes me so fucking wet, I swear.


15. Marry, Kai Kai, Kill: Detox, Raven, Pearl 

Oh gurl… Marry Pearl, kai kai with Detox, and I’m so sorry but kill Raven. I feel so bad! Haha!



Follow Alison:
Twitter: @AlisonSideshow
Instagram: @alison_sideshow

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @ragingdragaholic
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment