Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Anka Shayne: True Dedication At It's Finest

Originially from Denver, but currently reigning from the nightlife scene of Colorado Springs, CO, Anka Shayne admits that drag changed her life by ridding her of her internalized homophobia. She is known for changing up her looks and is most definitely not a one trick pony. Her dedication and love for the craft is untouchable and certainly hasn't gone unnoticed in the ever changing drag scene. She dreams of eventually performing in cities such as Chicago and sharing her work with a wider audience.



1. Who is Anka Shayne?

It’s hard to say! It really depends on the day. My style goes from fishy queen to literal fish. I love everything from to glamour to trash to old Hollywood to horror. Since I am able to transform myself into something or someone else, I try to change whatever I’m transforming into every time.



2. When and why did you begin doing drag?

The end of May is Anka’s third birthday. I’ve always been a creative person and have tried every artistic medium I could find but nothing ever held my attention for too long. I started drag because I loved the art form. If I start getting bored with one aspect, I can change my focus to keep me going. Hair, makeup, costumes, music, performing! Drag is endless.



3. How did you come up with your drag name?

I came up with Anka first. I have always been really drawn to very Eastern-European sounding names, they’re soft and feminine but also have a strength and (for lack of a better word) harshness to them. I love the contrast. So, I came up with Anka by just searching for Eastern-european baby names! I added a last name later, “Overkill”, but that stupid minion movie came out and the main character and I had the same last name! Not wanting to associate myself with minions, obviously, I started wracking my brain for a quick replacement. Rose McGowan’s character in Jawbreaker is one of my all time favorites, I tried on her character’s last name and it worked. I only realized after i decided that Anka Shayne was sort of punny. My tucking skills are pretty impeccable so being Danke Schoen without the d just works.



4. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about doing drag?

I LIVE for the moment when a look is finally completely put together and its just like “I did that!”. I… despise… padding. I like how my body looks with or without pads and I switch it up often. I don’t know if for some reason the tights just cause me more pain than normal or if I am just a complete baby but I find padding to be excruciating. I regularly (and unintentionally) cause myself to bleed while doing drag, I have bruised ribs and gone so hard that I have to limp back to the dressing room but none of it compares to padding. 



5. How has drag changed your life?

Before drag, I had A LOT of internalized homophobia and a general distaste for men. I had NO gay friends and NO male friends. The only gay or male people I would have in my life were people I was dating. Drag has forced me to deal with all of this. I finally have people in my life that I can actually relate to. Nearly 30 years is a long time to go without that. 



6. What would you say is he biggest misconception about the drag community? 

That we’re all bitches. I was terrified of drag queens even after starting drag until I got to know people in the community. I used to be afraid to even speak to a queen when it turns out that most of us do really love to hear from fans. I’m just playing dress up and while I will be proud of my art, I’m always a little taken aback when someone else likes it too. 



7. What is your most unique quality?

As a queen… my obsession with glue. I nearly always have something (beyond lashes, nails and wigs) glued to me when I’m in drag. Anything from actual stickers (and nothing else) as a costume to fake vomit to prosthetics and everything in between. Locally, I’m sort of known as the glue queen, people regularly reach out to me to ask what sort of glue they should use for different things. It’s such an absurd thing to be known for so I’m completely here for it.



8. What is something that no one knows about you?

Good question. I drink too much and talk too much to really have any secrets. People are generally surprised to learn that I’m kind of a rabid football fan and crazy dog lover, though.



9. Where do you get most of your inspiration from?

It truly depends on the individual look or performance. I will get inspired by a song, or a piece of fabric or a picture or a word and then piece everything together from there. The most common thing I get inspired by is themes. Themes for certain shows, or nights at the club or just following along with competitions have inspired some of my personal favorite looks (like my crystal castle and hairless cat looks)



10. What are 3 makeup products that you absolutely cannot live without? 

1. Kryolan Supracolor in clown white. 
2. Ben Nye Lumiere in Ice.
3. ABH Dipbrow.



11. If you could describe your drag persona in one word, what would it be?

If I could, I would but I don’t think I can. Trash seems so predictable but if I HAD to choose… trash.



12. If you could change something about the drag community, what would it be and why?

I would love to see drag open up to a world beyond bars and nightclubs. The late nights and partying can be fun but it can also be exhausting. I’d love to have more options which would give the art more exposure. 



13. If you could travel anywhere to perform, where would you go and why?

I am absolutely dying to perform in Chicago. I can just feel that scene calling me name. I love all the queens from there that I’ve met. An overwhelming majority of the queens I look up to are from there. I think I could be embraced but also pushed there.



14. What is a big goal you have set for yourself for your drag career in the future?

Performing in Chicago is definitely up there. Of course, RPDR would be amazing. However, filming an episode of Transformations with James St. James is a HUGE goal for me right now.



15. What is your biggest guilty pleasure?

Hibernating in my room during the few weekdays that I’m not doing drag. 



Follow Anka Shayne:
Instagram: @anka_shayne 

The Drag Enthusiast:
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Twitter: @dragenthusiast

1 comment: