Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Aja: Diverse Looks and High Energy


A true performer is someone who can captivate the room simply by being present. Aja is a performer who resides in NYC that focuses on doing full looks that could easily stop traffic and she also mixes that with high energy performances that will leave anyone gasping for air. Her looks have many different influences and she has proven time and time again that she can put a variety of looks together, and no one will know what to expect. She recently released a hip hop track and is working on more music in the future. 



1. Who is Aja as a performer?

Aja is a unique polymerization of sci-fi robo-technology, 90's ballroom culture, & kawaii harajuku inspiration. She's spacey, cute, and kinda rachet. I like to say she's kind of like a powerpuff girl stripper. 😅 She's a dancer, a rapper, an actress, a comic, and an idiot.



2. When and why did you begin doing drag?

I started drag when I was 17 which was 5 years ago! I started doing drag as a joke because my cousin told me I could really go somewhere with it. I still can't believe I got here. That's the real gag to me.



3. How did you come up with your drag name?

Well my name Aja is Hindi for "come here" and I heard it in this Bollywood song called "Jimmy Jimmy Aja Aja" (Atleast that's what I think it's called)



4. How has drag changed your life?

Drag has changed my life and affected me in so many ways. From helping at my lowest moments in life to even the little details. Literally from helping me from my panic disorder and PTSD to helping me gain the confidence I needed to thrive.



5. How is New York drag different from drag across the world?

New York drag is so crazy. There are so many types of drag in NYC. I feel like there's so many mini niches of drag here. Yet most queens are fall into their own category. Like myself! I don't think there's really another queen in NYC who's doing what I do.



6. If you had to relocate somewhere else, what would you say that you would bring to the drag community there?

I could bring a sense of high energy performance that not every community has but also, there's a huge lack of people who serve looks and fashion who also do high energy dance performance. That's something I could bring everywhere.



7. If you could travel anywhere to perform, where would you want to go and why?

I just recently performed in Chicago, LA, and Austin and honestly my favorite was Chicago. I want to go back! But somewhere I haven't been yet; probably somewhere more international! Berlin, London, Stockholm all stick out to me!



8. What is your favorite performance you've ever done?

Ah!!! Honestly I have many of my own favorite numbers to do... (Does that make me conceited???) Well my favorites are between my fast paced impeccable lip sync to "Look at Me Now" by Chris Brown, Busta Rhymes, and Lil' Wayne. But for a dance track.... My all time favorite is underground club house track "Utopia" by Bang La Decks ft Dominique Young. The line "Welcome to my fantasy world.." Sets me off!



9. What is the best compliment you've ever received?

That I have touched people and inspired them. I am just a human doing what I love and it's insane to know that I can have an impact on even just one person. It makes me want to devote my life to changing others for the better.



10. What would you say is your biggest accomplishment so far?

My biggest accomplishment is being able to travel, building a social media family and having people just appreciate my drag! Also having several successfully parties and hosting gigs before I had even turned 21!



11. You recently released a song. Do you see yourself releasing more music in the future? What should we expect from you?

Yes! I haven't had one lately to work on it but there are some really cute and cunty tracks in the making. I'm going to be working with an old friend who slays the tracks. Some of you may know her as B. Ames. I'm going for banjee rap meets ballroom femme queen.



12. What is a makeup product you can't live without?

DEFINITELY- WET & WILD H20 WATERPROOF LINER. This $5 eyeliner is by far my favorite. And the concoction of highlighters I mixed in a tub.



13. Do you have a most embarrassing moment during a performance?

I don't really ever get embarrassed to be honest! I don't take myself too seriously so I'm always having fun on stage. I've fallen before; missed a lyric or 2 but at the end of the day I got tipped and people liked it. (I still don't know why) So I guess it was worth it!



14. What is something not many people know about you?

A lot of people don't know that I am actually kinda tall. I'm 5'11 without heels. A lot of people kind of assume I'm really short... also a lot of people don't recognize me out of drag.



15. If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?

It would be the power to control time and space! This is me saying that I just really want to be Sailor Pluto though.



Follow Aja:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aja.marievontease
Instagram: @ajathekween
Aja's song: https://m.soundcloud.com/aja-queen-511898012/slaying-w-bang-la-decks/reposts (basic demo from her iPhone) 

Photo Credits:

Santiago Felipe: http://santiagofelipe.com/

Adam Ouahmane: https://www.facebook.com/adamouahmanephotodesign/?fref=ts


The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com




No comments:

Post a Comment