Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Capria Luchia: The Full Package



Capria Luchia is best known for her run on the Facebook drag competition formerly known as "The Drag Race" (now called "The Drag Battle Royale"). She was in the top 7 of the competition and then was eliminated. Since then, Capria has come a long way and her main goal is to focus on her performances and showcase actual emotion, even though she may not be the best dancer at the club. Drag is an outlet for her to express her creativity and be more comfortable with all aspects of her true personality. She aspires to soon cross paths with the one and only Mathu Andersen and really enjoys telling a story with her performances. 

1. How would you describe Capria Luchia as a performer?

Capria loves to show her emotions, she'll make you feel whatever she is going through during her performance. I've never been the greatest dancer, I can't death drop or drop into the splits but I can tell a story and tell it well. I also enjoy visual stimulation during a performance, for example my last show I did 'Colors of the Wind' and I used colorful fabric with fans to make colorful wind.


2. When and why did you begin doing drag? 

I started doing drag a little over two years ago and I started for many reasons. I was at a point in my life where I was at a crossroads, I didn't know what path to choose, I wanted to be an actor, a model, a artist and I had no clue how to achieve it or how to choose which to pursue. I was struggling with being gay, even though I was happy and all was well I was still closeting my feminine side, both out of habit and fear of being undesirable. At the time I was in a relationship of 3 years and I had changed myself so much because of it, I could no longer recognize or love who I was. So when I stumbled upon drag, it clicked, it was like the world was right again. Drag offered me an outlet of creativity that allowed me to do and be all the things I wanted. Finally I could embrace the femininity, I could finally showcase my fashion sense, I could be revered for it rather than shunned. It also allowed me to escape the person I no longer knew to be me and Capria helped me love myself again. Drag gave me all of that, how could I not fall in love with it.


3. Where did you get your drag name from?

Capria Luchia was created from the name Caprice Luchia, which was the name my mother had chosen for her daughter. She would have been my older and only sister if she had survived the 3rd trimester of my mother's pregnancy. When I was trying to come up with a name, my mother suggested Caprice. After that I was sold, I altered the first part of the name to make it my own but still make it a tribute to her. I've never met her but because of Capria I feel close to her and I also like to think she lives through Capria.



4. Who is your biggest inspiration when it comes to drag and why did you pick this person?

When I first started drag Raja was a huge inspiration, I was blown away by her take on drag, it was so cultured and profound. It completely eliminated my own preconceived notions of what drag was and helped me see it for the well rounded artform that it is. Nowadays my biggest inspirations are Phi Phi O'Hara and Mathu Anderson. Phi Phi has grown SO MUCH since season 4, she's become humble, kinder and is unbelievably talented. Her 365 days of drag gives me all the life I need everyday and I absolutely adore her for it. Mathu plain and simple is just goals, from the way can paint to the way he photographs to how he models. He is truely an extraordinary artist, who I not only look up to but hope to work with in the future.


5. What is your favorite thing about doing drag? 

Oh my.... thats a hard one, theres so much I love about doing drag. One of my favorite things about drag is, I think men can be gorgeous or considered pretty but I feel like women are the ones who experience beauty or are considered to be the image of beauty. Men never get to experience that beauty but drag allows me to fully grasp what that feels like. Honestly, sometimes after my face is fully painted and the lashes are dropped, I catch myself completely dumbfound by the image in the mirror. To truely feel beautiful as a man, is the most surreal experience.


6. Do you have a most embarrassing moment while you were onstage? If so, how did you cope with it?

As cliche as it sounds my most embarrassing moment was during my first performance, I was performing to Hurt by Xtina. When I first started drag I stacked wigs like no ones business, so while I was performing, my top pretty wig literally rolled off my head and down my arm and on top of that my strapless dress was pretty falling below my nipples. Although that all happened I ignored it and gave them a hurt drag queen lipsyncing her heart out.



7. What would you say is your best quality as a performer? 

My lipsyncing, hands down, I'll give you mouth tremors, tears, body language and lipsync breathing. Acting has always been an interest, so I love when a song lets me tell a story with my drag.


8. What is your biggest accomplishment so far?

 My biggest accomplishment in drag has to be between being featured on World of Wonder's website and working alongside Morgan McMichaels and Pork Chop in an episode CSI: Las Vegas, that was quite the experience.


9. What is the biggest lesson you've learned throughout your drag career?

Remaining humble and being open to suggestions and constructive criticism are definitely things I've learned through this whole process. Something I'm personally still learning to do is not let negative people or comments get to me, no matter what you do someone will hate it and thats ok. Someone gave me very great advice and that was 'Don't give free entertainment'. So don't pay those bitches no mind or time.



10. How did you learn how to paint your face? 

My drag mother taught me the beginning guide lines to drag makeup and I'm not gonna lie my mug was rough and was for pretty much the whole first year of my drag. I got better by listening to queens I'd perform with that would suggest a different approach, whether it be eyes or cheeks or nose. I've tried so many different looks and styles and I'd like to think that has helped shape my drag and face today.


11. What is a makeup product that you absolutely cannot live without?

Oh my god, highlighters, I'm obsessed. Some of my favorite brands are Anastasia Beverly Hills, Becca and Mac for highlighters. My main palette obsession is the Glow Kit by Anastasia, its soooooo good. I think I love it so much because when its on point its one of the first things others will notice.


12. How long does it take you to get ready for a performance? 

It really depends on the look, but if I had to give an average I'd say it would take me 2 to 2 and a half hours to get into face and maybe 15 minutes to get into body and hair.



13. Who would you say is someone you would want to work with in the future and why? 

Well as I stated earlier Mathu Anderson, I want him to photograph me, I want to watch him paint his face, I'd want to learn and absorb as much as I can with whatever time I'd have with him. He has and does so many things I want for myself. Bearded drag is apart of my drag portfolio and he does it breathtaking. If I was ever to have the pleasure of working with him, not only would to be a dream come true but it would be a stepping stone in my journey as an artist.


14. Where do you see yourself in the future when it comes to drag?

I want to be in a position where drag is involved in my career; I want to be modeling in and out of drag, I want to be collaborating with makeup companies with sponsors or featuring my own lines, I want to be apart of fashion week and runways, I want to do more acting, I want to be an overall successful artist. That is where I see myself and my drag in the future.


15. Marry, Kai Kai, Kill: Raja, Trixie Mattel, Tyra Sanchez.

Marry Raja for sure, she could teach me a lot and access to her drag closet? I think yes. I'd Kai Kai with Trixie because she's a cute boy and I'd kill Tyra because she's prettier than me. 

(Photo edited by Miss Crime Scene) 

Follow Capria:
Instagram: @caprialuchia 

The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment