Monday, February 29, 2016

Sara Andrews: Electric Pinup Girl



Beginning her career as a performer at the ripe age of 17 in Nashville, TN, Sara Andrews worked towards becoming an onstage sensation. She currently resides in the big city of Chicago, IL where she regularly charms audience members with her fun and upbeat performances and stunning costumes. Being a performer who is enchanting, versatile, and unique, Sara is definitely worth watching onstage if anyone is given the opportunity. 


1. Who is Sara Andrews as a performer?

What's a "performer"? Just kidding. I'm a little bit of everything all rolled into one... a jack of all trades and a master of none, if you will. I like comedy, though I'm not great at it. I like mindless bubblegum pop. But I LOVE anything overly dramatic, angry, or sad. Give me a stunning gown and some drama, and I'll give you a show! I guess you could say that I'm a quirky drama queen with a goofy sense of humor. I'm actually going through a Madonna-esque reinvention of myself at the moment. Amongst other things, I'm learning to play with color a lot more. And I've always had people tell me that I have that classic pinup girl look (even when I'm not really going for that). So the best way I can describe what I'm becoming is an "electric pinup girl". Classic... with a colorful twist! I'm pretty excited to flesh out this idea a little more this year. So stay tuned! Sara Andrews - soon in technicolor!


2. When and why did you begin performing?

I started performing in 1998. I knew that I wanted to be a professional drag queen from the moment I discovered it to be a career path. I can't sing. I can't dance. And I can't fashion. So prancing around a stage lipsyncing to other people's songs in tacky costume seemed like the best way to go!


3. How has drag changed your life?

If it hadn't been for drag, I might never have discovered transgender people until I was in my 30s and they started being all over tv! And I certainly wouldn't have had the opportunity to travel the country as much as I have and meet all the awesome people that I've been able to meet. My life would've been SO boring, I imagine!



4. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about performing?

My favorite thing about performing is seeing the smiles on people's faces in the audience. I know that's cheesy, but cheese make everything better in my opinion.

And my least favorite thing about performing? Duct tape.


5. How is the atmosphere different in Chicago compared to other places as far as the drag scene goes?

Well, I'm from the south where if you don't fit into a particular box, you don't really work much (if at all). But the diversity here is A-MAZING! Drag is so creative and outside the box here. I love it! It's really a breath of fresh air for someone who's mostly been exposed to pageant drag. It's definitely way more playful here too.


6. Do people treat you differently because you're a transgender female who performs in the drag world? How do you deal with it?

I've never really had a problem with being a transgender queen, aside from the occasional asshat trying to tell me that what I do isn't really drag. 



7. What is the most misunderstood thing about being a transgender performer?

Oh that's easy! That we don't put any effort into the artform or that we have an "unfair advantage". People think, just because we take hormones, our bone structure and features magically morph into that of a woman. People think we just wake up looking like we're wearing a pound of makeup, I guess. And that we grow 2 wigs worth of hair on our heads. About the only thing hormones did for me was clear up my acne. 

And, sure, some of us get work done. But so do plenty of gay men that do drag. Look at all the queens that have been on drag race and talked about all their work... Venus, Detox, Chad, etc, etc, etc. And just as many that had work and didn't talk so much about it. 

The only advantage we used to have were boobs... and breastplates have pretty much evened up that playing field. Look at queens like Trinity Taylor (a boy queen who utilizes a breast plate) and tell me again how boy queens are at a disadvantage.


8. There are many transgender individuals that struggle with coming to terms with themselves and coming out to family and friends. What is your advice to them as far as trying to live an open and happy life? 

Taking advice from me is like taking advice from the town sot. Just don't do it... unless you wanna know which bar in town will get you drunk fastest and cheapest. Then I got you, boo!


9. What is something not many people know about you? 

I'm such an open book, I don't know that there's anything left to tell. Hmmm...

OH! I'm a complete and total brat. And, I've been known to go limp when I've had a few drinks and I'm not getting my way. You know... like when a kid in a store refuses to leave until they get what they want, and they finally just go completely limp forcing their parents to have to drag them out of the store? That's me! Why anyone puts up with me, I'll never know.

(With Beverly Lately and Valentine Addams)


10. What is your view on Rupaul's Drag Race? Do you think it's helped or hurt the drag world and why? 

I love drag race. I think it's completely helped diversify the drag world to an extent. Certainly more queens are getting recognition that otherwise wouldn't have without the show. I really like that. It reminded us that drag is all about breaking the rules... not creating more rules that have to be followed.

On the other hand, it certainly hasn't been very inclusive of trans queens. So I guess you could say that it's more or less hurt the trans drag world. I really hope they do include trans queens eventually. But, alas, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

(And, by the way, girls who came out during/after the show do not count as being trans-inclusive. The fact of the matter is that they wouldn't have been on the show if they had already been transitioning. Every single one was introduced as boys, by their boy names. They weren't trans queens when they were on the show. And, I might add, Monica got the boot just as soon as she came out on the show.)


11. In your opinion, what is your best quality?

You'd have to find a quality first!


12. If you could work with anyone in particular, who would you choose and why? 

I've learned it's best not to meet your idols. To be honest, I've found that the people I idolize the most are my least favorite when I meet them. And those I overlook wind up being some of my favorite people.

That being said, I kinda wanna work with Tammie Brown. But I think I'd have to be REALLY stoned to really appreciate that experience.



13. Have you ever had a most embarrassing moment when performing?

OH! Just a couple of weeks ago actually. I walked out in a 2 piece skirt/top combo. And the velcro on my skirt gave way as I hit center stage, causing it to fall down around my ankles. Thankfully I was wearing panties. Sadly, they were white panties that desperately needed to be washed. 


14. What should people expect when people come see you perform?

A drunken tranny (it's ok... I can say that. I'm dating one!) stumbling around like a newborn goat? Let's just say... keep your expectations low so that, no matter what, you'll be amazed. 😉


Follow Sara Andrews 
Twitter: @misssaraandrews
Instagram: @misssaraandrews

Photo Credits: 
Erik Michael Kommer: 
Instagram: @lad_of_leisure

Adam Ouahmane: 

Kater Jayne Photography: 


The Drag Enthusiast:
Twitter: @DragEnthusiast
Instagram: @dragenthusiast
Tumblr: dragenthusiast.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment